* [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-16 18:48 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-10-16 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

available on sources and here: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/GnuGo/

see README.PLAN9 for installation instructions.

sample game:

9grid% gnugo --boardsize 5
GNU Go 3.6
Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 by the Free Software
Foundation, Inc. See http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/ or contact
gnugo@gnu.org for information about GNU Go. GNU Go comes with NO WARRANTY to
the extent permitted by law. This program is free software; you can
redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation - version 2.  For more
information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.
here we are!

Beginning ASCII mode game.

Board Size:   5
Handicap      0
Komi:         0.0
Move Number:  0
To Move:      black
Computer player: White

    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . . . . . 5
  4 . + . + . 4
  3 . . + . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

c3
black(1):
    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . . . . . 5
  4 . + . + . 4
  3 . .(X). . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

GNU Go is thinking...
white(2): B3

    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . . . . . 5
  4 . + . + . 4
  3 .(O)X . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

c4
black(3):
    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . . . . . 5
  4 . +(X)+ . 4
  3 . O X . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

GNU Go is thinking...
white(4): B4

    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . . . . . 5
  4 .(O)X + . 4
  3 . O X . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

b5
black(5):
    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 .(X). . . 5
  4 . O X + . 4
  3 . O X . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

GNU Go is thinking...
white(6): PASS

    White (O) has captured 0 pieces
    Black (X) has captured 0 pieces

    A B C D E
  5 . X . . . 5
  4 . O X + . 4
  3 . O X . . 3
  2 . + . + . 2
  1 . . . . . 1
    A B C D E

pass
black(7): white(8): PASS
Result: B+24.0
If you disagree, we may count the game together.
You may optionally save the game as an SGF file.

Type "save " to save,
     "count" to recount,
     "quit" to quit
 or  "game" to play again
quit

Thanks! for playing GNU Go.

9grid%

* Re: [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-17  1:17 ` Lee Duhem
From: Lee Duhem @ 2007-10-17  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

very nice.

lee

@ 2007-10-17  5:49   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-10-17  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

goanna would kick its ass.

brucee

@ 2007-10-17  5:53     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-10-17  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i did not know that:
http://www.intelligentgo.org/Home/Events/Usenix/Usenix%201984.html

@ 2007-10-17  6:07       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-10-17  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

nice link ... i thought it was lost.

i wrote that program on the weekend before the tournament,
kinduva dare from rob.  goterm is very good - rob wrote that.
goanna ended up there thru unusual means.  e-mail was
premordial so ken mailed an od .... and the rest is history.

brucee

@ 2007-10-17 14:40 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-10-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> UCT (Montecarlo) programs are improving fast. I'm programming
> an engine that I'm thinking to port to Plan9.

I guess Mark V Shaney plays go ☺

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-17 11:00 ` Andrés Domínguez
From: Andrés Domínguez @ 2007-10-17 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2007/10/17, Rob 'Commander' Pike <r@google.com>:
> That was the first computer go tournament ever held, I believe.

The Acornsoft Computer Go Tournament was held in London
some mounths before (January 1984), but it was a 13x13 Go
tournament.

> Peter Langston and I put it together and it was a lot of fun.
>
> Computers are still terrible at go, but they're getting better.

UCT (Montecarlo) programs are improving fast. I'm programming
an engine that I'm thinking to port to Plan9.

Andrés

* Re: [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-17 10:52   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2007-10-17 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a user interface which knows about the rules. It is just a
stupid user interface.
contrib/paurea/goban

button 1 whites
button 2 black
button 3 mark as dead
c count
u undo

It is a backport from something which I wrote for plan b. Not
specially fast, but readable implementation of the rules.
--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-17  6:28 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-10-17  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the fun for me was writing a program to beat other
programs.  goanna was crap playing against a human.

brucee

On 10/17/07, Rob 'Commander' Pike <r@google.com> wrote:
> That was the first computer go tournament ever held, I believe.
> Peter Langston and I put it together and it was a lot of fun.
>
> Computers are still terrible at go, but they're getting better.
>
> -rob

* [9fans] gnugo port for plan9
@ 2007-10-17  6:23 Rob 'Commander' Pike