* [9fans] off topic:is there one? boyd and pianos.
@ 2008-01-16 10:30 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-01-16 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i got the call today.  apparently i ordered a piano a few years ago.
i was working with boyd in paris and he found the most amazing
music stores where i bought many unobtainable scores.  and then it
seems that i bought a piano.  the dude was pushing the bechstein,
i remember that.  but i have no idea what's going on with this piano.

bless him, and his code.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] off topic:is there one? boyd and pianos.
@ 2008-01-16 11:20 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-01-16 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 16, 2008 11:30 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> i got the call today.  apparently i ordered a piano a few years ago.
> i was working with boyd in paris and he found the most amazing
> music stores where i bought many unobtainable scores.  and then it
> seems that i bought a piano.  the dude was pushing the bechstein,
> i remember that.  but i have no idea what's going on with this piano.
>
> bless him, and his code.

Amen.

Rarely a day goes by that is not brightened somehow by his memory.

We are all truly blessed to have known him and shared so many wonderful things.

uriel

P.S.: I'm awaiting to get a call saying I ordered an MP5...

* Re: [9fans] off topic:is there one? boyd and pianos.
@ 2008-01-16 20:25 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-01-16 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hey berlioz! leave the gun, take the piano.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] off topic:is there one? boyd and pianos.
@ 2008-01-16 20:33   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-01-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i like berlioz's recollections of his prix de roma days.  he hated
italy and would disappear into the hills, play his guitar, and shoot things.
life goes on.  it seems the berlioz shirt is still available from
http://www.cafepress.com/chunder along with other memorables.

brucee

@ 2008-01-18 12:40       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-01-18 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I found the paper (USENIX CS spring 1990), maybe it's on the web.
His Imperial Concert is 9'6" which would tax my living space.
Anyway what would I do with my current piano?

The Bösendorfer controller used a Z80 so I'm sure "9P for the Big B"
would be a fun, if expensive, Gsoc project.

Anyhow - it looks to be an elaborate hoax on the Parisian end.
Yes, I did go to that store and played around. And Boyd was the only
one who knew. But no way did I give out personal details. Then again
some of my friends are very creative pranksters.

I guess I could sell it for profit if it does arrive.  They be rare downunder.
Awaiting another call.  Missed today's ... cricket.

brucee

@ 2008-01-17 22:52     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-01-17 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-01-17 22:35   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2008-01-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-01-16 19:49 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-01-16 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i believe i went for the Bösendorfer.  and if it's paid for i didn't do it.
we'll see - i still live in strange and unusual times.

as shaney would say "why can't everyone wake at 3am terribly confused".

@ 2008-01-16 15:14 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2008-01-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i got the call today.  apparently i ordered a piano a few years ago.
> i was working with boyd in paris and he found the most amazing
> music stores where i bought many unobtainable scores.  and then it
> seems that i bought a piano.  the dude was pushing the bechstein,
> i remember that.  but i have no idea what's going on with this piano.

Oooo.  That's one sweet instrument.  I've only gotten
to play one a few times, but it made an impression on
me like no other piano.  I sure wouldn't mind getting
a call that one was ready for me---assuming it had
magically already been paid for, that is...

BLS