* [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29  1:48 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-02-29  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's one with audio narrative:
http://www.rangboom.com/videos/intro2_intro2_plan9.wmv

here are the others:
http://www.rangboom.com/videos/a_rio_session.wmv
http://www.rangboom.com/videos/rio_session.wmv
http://www.rangboom.com/videos/acme_session.mov
http://www.rangboom.com/videos/acme_session.wmv

enjoy!

* Re: [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29  3:33 ` Hongzheng Wang
From: Hongzheng Wang @ 2008-02-29  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks.

But, could you please encode these videos with not so proprietary
codes?  For example, xvid or ogg/theora?  It would be helpful to enjoy
your work on platforms without legal native win32 decoders yet.

--
HZ

* Re: [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29  5:30 ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2008-02-29  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I've encoded the videos into H.264 in a MP4 container:

http://www.kix.in/plan9/videos/acme_session.mp4 (6.5M)
http://www.kix.in/plan9/videos/intro_plan9.mp4 (2.4M)
http://www.kix.in/plan9/videos/rio_session1.mp4 (4.4M)
http://www.kix.in/plan9/videos/rio_session2.mp4 (2.1M)

VLC/Mplayer should be able to play them on most platforms.

Cheers,
Anant

* Re: [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29  6:06   ` Hongzheng Wang
From: Hongzheng Wang @ 2008-02-29  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you for your work.  That's great :-)

--
HZ

* Re: [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29 11:27     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-02-29 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

so what format do you want the next one in? we talking "in coming ...
.. .. ." but believe it or not i screwed up the talkie, sorta. the
audio, as indistinct as it may be, is not compressed.

a team of primates are looking into it.  the NW studio is totally together.

brucee

@ 2008-02-29 15:50       ` Hongzheng Wang
From: Hongzheng Wang @ 2008-02-29 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I think H.264 / AVC would be OK.  At least, both gstreamer and vlc
contain its codec.  And free codecs, such as ogg/theora would be OK
too.  So that the videos could be easily spread to other platforms, eg
GNU/Linux.

--
HZ

* Re: [9fans] introduction to introduction to plan9 - video
@ 2008-02-29 17:31         ` lejatorn
From: lejatorn @ 2008-02-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Although H.264 is quite a resources whore, and thus is not that easily
readable on non modern machines, so you might want to use the good ol'
mpeg4 (divx 4/5).

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID:	| Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3