* [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 11:21 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-12-12 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anyone had any experience with a "acer aspire one". Atom proc, SSD.
lotsa goodies. US$240.

One got delivered to the hill today. Tiger quite likes it. It has some
batshit version of linux on it.

If anyone has had fun with such a beast let me know. Looks like a good
traveller.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 11:31 ` akumar
From: akumar @ 2008-12-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes Bruce, I've had a little fun with it. Its destination was
family members (kids) in India, in rather difficult conditions.
It did not survive there (from what's gotten back to me, it seems to
be just a software issue -- something to do with the GUI being broken,
and thus unusable for the kids).

But I'll be getting either that one back, or a new one, soon enough.
Did you have some adventures in mind?

Regards,
akumar

> Anyone had any experience with a "acer aspire one". Atom proc, SSD.
> lotsa goodies. US$240.
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 12:37   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-12-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

just looks like a good thing to run the bunny on. i don't have time to
look into it now.

brucee

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM,  <akumar@sounine.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Yes Bruce, I've had a little fun with it. Its destination was
> family members (kids) in India, in rather difficult conditions.
> It did not survive there (from what's gotten back to me, it seems to
> be just a software issue -- something to do with the GUI being broken,
> and thus unusable for the kids).
>
> But I'll be getting either that one back, or a new one, soon enough.
> Did you have some adventures in mind?
>
> Regards,
> akumar
>

>> Anyone had any experience with a "acer aspire one". Atom proc, SSD.
>> lotsa goodies. US$240.
>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 19:27     ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2008-12-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> just looks like a good thing to run the bunny on. i don't have time to
> look into it now.
>
> brucee

is the keyboard horrendous?

nkl

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 19:36       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-12-12 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> is the keyboard horrendous?

it is. both the aspire and the Asus Eee PC make my chubby fingers
suffer. monitor is also tiny (especially on the Eee). i'm sticking
with the macbook as the smallest still usable for programming laptop,
especially since i can stick an sufficiently large SSD drive in it and
not worry about banging it (much).

Eee comes in a larger size now (10", i believe) but i ahve not tried that.

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 21:43         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-12-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The 10" Eee is great. Mine has many flyer miles.

brucee

@ 2008-12-12 22:12           ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-12-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The 10" Eee is great. Mine has many flyer miles.

does it run plan9?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] acer aspire one
@ 2008-12-12 22:16             ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-12-12 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

no, but it's a killer drawterm machine. and small enough to take to the pub.

brucee