* [9fans] Heirloom Doctools: Just Curious
@ 2006-10-25 11:57 Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-10-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Someone posted a notice about the latest heirloom doctools troff
release not long ago, so I took a look at it.  In general, by my
lights anyway, it tweaks troff in positive ways.  I since downloaded
the sources and made some efforts to build it with ape tools but have
gotten almost nowhere, which is almost no surprise since I have almost
no clue.

Has anyone else tried to build this on Plan 9?  Just wondering if
anyone's had any good results with this.

Thanks.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] Heirloom Doctools: Just Curious
@ 2006-10-25 19:37 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-10-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Has anyone else tried to build this on Plan 9?  Just wondering if
> anyone's had any good results with this.

I'd rather apply the changes to our own troff source base.  Licensing will
decide if that's even practical.

I've pulled the source down, and a quick look shows that they've based at
least part of their code base on the Plan 9 source, but there are also
large swaths of Solaris source.  What needs to be done is to diff their
code against the original distributions they started with, and then see
how practical it will be to apply those changes to the Plan9 source.

In particular, I would really like to see native support for Opentype, and
was planning to do that work myself anyway, so I have some incentive to
look into this.  Let me poke around in their CVS repository and see if I
can get a reasonable set of diffs to work with.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Heirloom Doctools: Just Curious
@ 2006-10-25 21:03   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-10-25 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm glad to see some interest.  I'm not a programmer, but, as you
consider the plausibility of the project, please keep in mind that I'd
be willing to help where I can.

Greg

@ 2006-10-26  6:32   ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-10-26  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've pulled the source down, and a quick look shows that they've based at
> least part of their code base on the Plan 9 source,

More likely it’s based on the same UNIX source that Plan 9’s is (ditroff by way of OpenSolaris; ours is by way of Research Unix)

It would be nice to merge the code bases; the Heirloom troff has some nice features (judging from the web page and demonstration files).

--Joel