* [9fans] 9p srv-ing on a port
@ 2004-01-16 23:06 mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2004-01-16 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is it possible (i.e.  simple enough) to set up a 9p server that will
work on a port a-la fossil/kfs?

Instead of doing postmountsrv() is it possible to do listen() -
accept() - fork and srv(s) with the network fd?  What should s->infd
and s->outfd be set to in this case?

* Re: [9fans] 9p srv-ing on a port
@ 2004-01-17  0:17 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-01-17  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Of course, several do, for example 17007.

What is the real question?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1911 bytes --]

From: mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 9p srv-ing on a port
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:06:13 -0700

@ 2004-01-17  0:40   ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2004-01-17  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What is the real question?

Skip's answer will probably suffice.

Originally I wanted to have a threaded server listen to a port on
which many clients can connect, similar to what fossil and kfs are
doing on 17008. Clients do:

	srv tcp!somesuch!someport blah /mnt/blah

and that's all...

Initially I thought it may be enough to build a Tree structure proper
and run srv() on it by setting (Srv *)s->infd and (Srv)s->outfd to be
the file descriptor obtained by accept(), but that doesn't seem to be
the case.

I admit I haven't dug through other servers' sources too deeply.

Something else I'm interested in doing is having a /srv (or a similar
fs alternative) on which remote machines can post file descriptors to
parts of their namespace.  A srvfs that will post on a remote machine
in other words.  Just to make sure that the trivial way doesn't work,
I tried:

	home% import -c octarine /srv /srv
	home% srvfs tmp /tmp
	exportfs: can't read initial string:
	home% mount /srv/tmp /n/sources
	mount: can't open /srv/tmp: device shut down
	home%

Anyway, there's no excuse for not digging in deeper, except perhaps
that it's Friday :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] 9p srv-ing on a port
@ 2004-01-17  0:56 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-01-17  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is it possible (i.e.  simple enough) to set up a 9p server that will
> work on a port a-la fossil/kfs?
>
> Instead of doing postmountsrv() is it possible to do listen() -
> accept() - fork and srv(s) with the network fd?  What should s->infd
> and s->outfd be set to in this case?

If I understand correctly, the following will work:

If you have a corresponding /bin/service/tcpXXXX script just launch
your server, then you could have an option for your server where it uses
the stdin (opened for read/write) to do the 9P transactions.
Look at cpu -R for example and see how tcp17010 is launched.