* [9fans] rio Peculiarities
@ 2009-02-27 21:44 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Having a window which is `current' and `visible' but not on `top'
gives rise to some effects of concern.  For example, scrolling this
current window is cause for massive load on the system; if there are
windows on top, making them current requires hiding the current one
(clicking on them is ineffective).  My use for being in such a
situation is, e.g., scrolling some acme body in the background while
doing something with an rc window on the foreground (since my acme
window takes up a large part of the screen).

Not particularly important, but an interesting case nonetheless,
ak

* Re: [9fans] rio Peculiarities
@ 2009-02-27 22:05 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-27 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

echo current > /dev/wsys/%d/wctl

ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3115 bytes --]

From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] rio Peculiarities
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:51:34 -0500

> Having a window which is `current' and `visible' but not on `top'
> gives rise to some effects of concern.  For example, scrolling this
> current window is cause for massive load on the system; if there are
> windows on top, making them current requires hiding the current one
> (clicking on them is ineffective).  My use for being in such a
> situation is, e.g., scrolling some acme body in the background while
> doing something with an rc window on the foreground (since my acme
> window takes up a large part of the screen).
>

> Not particularly important, but an interesting case nonetheless,
> ak

How exactly are you making a window current without bringing it to the
top?

John

* Re: [9fans] rio Peculiarities
@ 2009-02-28  0:47 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-28  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried the pat patch just now, and it doesn't seem to improve the
load or change the other effect I mentioned.

ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3061 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:48:40 -0500

On Fri Feb 27 16:46:34 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> Having a window which is `current' and `visible' but not on `top'
> gives rise to some effects of concern.  For example, scrolling this
> current window is cause for massive load on the system; if there are
> windows on top, making them current requires hiding the current one
> (clicking on them is ineffective).  My use for being in such a
> situation is, e.g., scrolling some acme body in the background while
> doing something with an rc window on the foreground (since my acme
> window takes up a large part of the screen).

take a look at the pat patch or the older mtrr patch.

- erik