* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-10 13:17 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you want a standalone plan9 system, just boot a terminal kernel
(9pcdisk or whatever).  You don't need an auth server if all you're
going to talk to are Unix systems and our sources machine.

You will be able to ssh, telnet, ftp to unix systems.  You can
see their file systems by running u9fs on them.

You don't need a complete plan9 network.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2735 bytes --]

From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave <gabidiaz@ipsoluciones.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:57:05 GMT

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in message news:<1426d7f5379b3e7984924e66295c2385@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> You really can't run a standalone cpu server/terminal
> and log in as a different person than the cpu host owner.

That's the conclusion :_) thanks.

> You'd have to split all the things in the kernel
> that are currently owned by the host owner into
> things owned by the host owner and things owned
> by the current terminal user, and then have a way
> to change the current terminal user.
>
> Even if you successfully got the right environment
> set up on the path you're trying (you need to start
> a new auth/factotum, by the way, to make upas/fs work),
> you won't be able to do things like get at /dev/draw,
> since it is owned by the host owner.
>
> Russ

After all, there aren't solution?. I can't use Plan9 for standalone
workstation?.

How to live with a plan9 workstation in a unix world? (without modify
unix boxes)

Well, i suppose i need to buy some computers then. And make a complete
plan9 netkwork.

PD: Nemo mi ingles-madrile€o me delata :)  No tendras el kernel
comentado en espa€ol verdad :?

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-10  9:57 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2002-06-10  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-07 14:02 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-07 11:34 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-07 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can boot a terminal and still use ssh ftp etc.
Since I see you speak spanish (looks like given your domain) drop
me a line and I'll try to help you w/ your setup.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-07  9:06 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2002-06-07  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote in message news:<73e7f5eabafb4104b61e27af44467eef@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> You can run login from the cpu server if you just set 'service=adfadsf'.
> However, I'm still utterly confused.  If you are running a standalone
> work station, just boot 9pcdisk instead of 9pccpudisk and it'll just
> prompt you for user name when it starts.  It should no nothing about
> bootes.

Yes, but i need authentication to that workstation (ftp, ssh, etc)
and for that i need to run a cpu-server isn't it?

As you say, i do the following:

#!/bin/rc

echo "login" > /env/service
auth/login $1

as a pseudo-su program

I can become the user i want. but upfas/fs -f '/pop/192.168.1.3/first
class' doesn't work. It respond with "no usable keys found".

PD off-topic: thanks for the man pages ;)

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-06 17:23 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can run login from the cpu server if you just set 'service=adfadsf'.
However, I'm still utterly confused.  If you are running a standalone
work station, just boot 9pcdisk instead of 9pccpudisk and it'll just
prompt you for user name when it starts.  It should no nothing about
bootes.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2513 bytes --]

From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave <gabidiaz@ipsoluciones.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:29:10 GMT

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote in message news:<a04acf6f997507bd4d9bc23bf594062f@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.
>
> If you're just trying to make a login command that lets a
> process become another user, there already is one.  Look at
> /sys/src/cmd/auth/login.c or man login.  Then you can then start
> a factotum as yourself.

well, i think that's the command i need, but i cannot run it from cpu
server.

I want to do a login on cpurc and then start rio and all
term stuff as the user i logged, not as bootes.

i want to make a "portable and not ever networked" plan9 standalone
workstation (for my laptop, that changes its location almost every
day).

thanks

PD (off-topic): I need documentation about network programming in
plan9 (i need some tools like a general packet sniffer, custom packet
generation program, etc) what man's pages or paper cover this stuff?

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-06 14:51 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-06-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//...documentation about network programming in plan9...

take a look at dial(2) and ip(3) for starters. that should
tell you most of what you need to know to get started. the
paper in /sys/doc/net may also be useful.

//...a general packet sniffer...

take a look at snoopy(8) for a sniffer. i know of no tools
to generate custom packets.
ア

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-06 13:29 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2002-06-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-05 12:18 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-05 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

If you're just trying to make a login command that lets a
process become another user, there already is one.  Look at
/sys/src/cmd/auth/login.c or man login.  Then you can then start
a factotum as yourself.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1753 bytes --]

From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave <gabidiaz@ipsoluciones.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:03:55 GMT

How can i say to factotum to ask for a user id at startup?

(i mean make login process) to run as another user than bootes?

auth/factotum -g <something-i-don't-know> ?

Thanks

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-05 10:03 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2002-06-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-30 18:57 rog
From: rog @ 2002-05-30 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use that rule too.
it's nice just being able to do it once and it gets
everywhere (including inside inferno, for example).

i also have a little shell script:

	#!/bin/rc
	plumb 'Local ' ^ $"*

so:
	local mount /srv/9660 /n/cd

does everything i need.

i can't decide whether it's a nasty hack or just a hack...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1842 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:39:47 -0400

i use this as a substitute for the plumbspace hack.

# stupid rule to run programs
kind is text
data matches 'Local (.*)'
plumb to none
plumb start rc -c $1

e.g.
	plumb 'Local 9fs foo'
	draw new window, has /n/foo

it's not quite as convenient but it's not bad.
combined with sending the same
command to acme, it gets me where i want to go.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-05-30 18:40 rog
From: rog @ 2002-05-30 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ahh of course, the reason i saw that problem up until
recently is that i was doing the little:

	srvfs plumbspace /n
	plumber
	rfork n
	mount -b /srv/plumbspace /n

hack. (which, by the way, i constantly find extremely useful
when mounting external media, iso9660 images, etc)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1690 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:24:31 -0400

i think it doesn't matter one way or the other.
plumber then upas/fs is the standard way.

neither forks the namespace, so they both
see each other (necessary for plumbing incoming
mail messages).

russ

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-05-30 18:39 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-30 18:24 rog
From: rog @ 2002-05-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

russ writes:
> 		plumber
> 		upas/fs

why not:
	upas/fs
	plumber
?

it's quite nice being able to plumb mail messages, after all.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-05-30 18:24 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-30 18:13 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you are using a cpu server as a terminal,
then you should arrange for a new factotum to
be started before you run rio.  By default the
factotum on cpu servers does not prompt for
keys, whereas the factotum on terminals does.

For example, wherever you run

	plumber
	upas/fs
	rio