* [9fans] Noob intall issues
@ 2007-12-10 18:53 Jonathan D. Proulx
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jonathan D. Proulx @ 2007-12-10 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've managed to boot a live demo system from the CD under VMware (5.5
linux)  and Qemu, but I'm having a variety of trouble trying to get a
system actually installed.

I prefer real hardware, but that gives me the most trouble.  I'm
trying to install (or even boot the live image) on a Sun Ultra20,
this is an AMD64 system with Nforce4 chipset (which claims to be
supported).  One hurdle I just cleared is that the BIOS is mapping teh
CD to sdC0 rather than sdD0 that the menu expects.  After substituting
that in what I think are the right places, the last being
local!#S/sdC0/data, it just spins the CD at high speed an whirrs for
15min.  After that I shutdown as I couldn take the noise.

Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux.
After finding the "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I got the installer
to run, and things seemed to go well, but on reboot it hangs at "init:
starting /bin/rc",  that one's been there for about an hour but still
no prompt.

I think I may be making progress with qemu.  It seems the disk I fed
it is too small or so I surmise from the disk full errors on boot and
complaints of missing files.  Though this is my least favorite option
as it's really slow even if I do get it going.

Any wisdom to share?

Thanks,
-Jon

* Re: [9fans] Noob intall issues
@ 2007-12-10 19:23 ` Philipp
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Philipp @ 2007-12-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi.
the problem you've got when using vmware (-> hanging after init rc; no prompt)
is exactly the problem i've got when booting from my notebook
after install has finished. this happens when logging in as none, but when
i'm logging in as glenda, i get a black screen + mouse pointer (white border)
and again, nothing happens and any action i'm performing doesn't have any effect.
i described to problem about 2 or 3 weeks before in the list, i think.
i hope someone has a idea how to fix this (i mean rio @ installer was just fine,
but that's perhaps because of the different kernels used by the installer and the
fresh installed system)

philipp

On 13:53 Mon 10 Dec     , Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to boot a live demo system from the CD under VMware (5.5
> linux)  and Qemu, but I'm having a variety of trouble trying to get a
> system actually installed.
>
> I prefer real hardware, but that gives me the most trouble.  I'm
> trying to install (or even boot the live image) on a Sun Ultra20,
> this is an AMD64 system with Nforce4 chipset (which claims to be
> supported).  One hurdle I just cleared is that the BIOS is mapping teh
> CD to sdC0 rather than sdD0 that the menu expects.  After substituting
> that in what I think are the right places, the last being
> local!#S/sdC0/data, it just spins the CD at high speed an whirrs for
> 15min.  After that I shutdown as I couldn take the noise.
>
> Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux.
> After finding the "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I got the installer
> to run, and things seemed to go well, but on reboot it hangs at "init:
> starting /bin/rc",  that one's been there for about an hour but still
> no prompt.
>
> I think I may be making progress with qemu.  It seems the disk I fed
> it is too small or so I surmise from the disk full errors on boot and
> complaints of missing files.  Though this is my least favorite option
> as it's really slow even if I do get it going.
>
> Any wisdom to share?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jon

* Re: [9fans] Noob intall issues
@ 2007-12-11 20:37 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-12-11 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux.
> After finding the "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I got the installer
> to run, and things seemed to go well, but on reboot it hangs at "init:
> starting /bin/rc",  that one's been there for about an hour but still
> no prompt.

This turned out to be yet another incompatibility with the
VMware IDE device's idea of a "disconnected CD-ROM drive".
Deleting the CD-ROM drive from the VMware config made it boot.

Russ

* [9fans] Re: Noob intall issues
@ 2007-12-12 10:13 ` Randall Bohn
From: Randall Bohn @ 2007-12-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux.
> After finding the "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I got the installer
> to run, and things seemed to go well, but on reboot it hangs at "init:
> starting /bin/rc",  that one's been there for about an hour but still
> no prompt.

I've seen this behavior with IDE disks under VMWare. Try installing to
SCSI disks instead.

* [9fans] Re: Noob intall issues
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-12-12 10:14 ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2007-12-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Dec 10, 1:55 pm, j...@csail.mit.edu (Jonathan D. Proulx) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to boot a live demo system from the CD under VMware (5.5
> linux)  and Qemu, but I'm having a variety of trouble trying to get a
> system actually installed.
>
> I prefer real hardware, but that gives me the most trouble.  I'm
> trying to install (or even boot the live image) on a Sun Ultra20,
> this is an AMD64 system with Nforce4 chipset (which claims to be
> supported).  One hurdle I just cleared is that the BIOS is mapping teh
> CD to sdC0 rather than sdD0 that the menu expects.  After substituting
> that in what I think are the right places, the last being
> local!#S/sdC0/data, it just spins the CD at high speed an whirrs for
> 15min.  After that I shutdown as I couldn take the noise.
>
> Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux.
> After finding the "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I got the installer
> to run, and things seemed to go well, but on reboot it hangs at "init:
> starting /bin/rc",  that one's been there for about an hour but still
> no prompt.
>
> I think I may be making progress with qemu.  It seems the disk I fed
> it is too small or so I surmise from the disk full errors on boot and
> complaints of missing files.  Though this is my least favorite option
> as it's really slow even if I do get it going.
>
> Any wisdom to share?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jon
In VMWare try moving your cdrom over to scsi, or completly removing
it.

Thanks
Bob