* [9fans] encrypting 9P traffic
@ 2011-07-27 23:43 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-07-27 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm preparing to go to Defcon next week, and to help avoid getting
owned I'm planning to bring along a Plan 9 laptop. I'd like to be able
to mount, say, my home fileserver while I'm there, but 9P traffic goes
out unencrypted if you use "srv" rather than "import -E ssl". This got
me to fiddling with tlssrvtunnel and tlsclienttunnel, but I've run
into some problems:

(gozer is the cpu server, x61 is the terminal)

gozer% tlssrvtunnel tcp!gozer!564 tcp!*!12345 cert.pem # I created
cert.pem using auth/rsagen, rsa2x509, and pemencode
listen started
gozer%

# I did sha1sum of cert.pem and, on the client side, created "thumb"
containing "x509 sha1=<hash> cn=*.<myauthdomain>" where myauthdomain
is the same domain I used to create the cert
x61% tlsclienttunnel tcp!gozer!12345 tcp!*!564 thumb
x61% srv net!x61!564 x61
x61% mount /srv/x61 /n/x61
mount: mount /n/x61: EOF receiving fversion reply

I can't seem to find any mention of these programs in 9fans except for
the initial announcement of their creation. Did I do something wrong
along the way? I'm not very familiar with TLS so it's definitely
possible.

On a more general note, I've decided that probably the smartest option
will be to "import -E ssl myhomesystem /net" (because after 9 years,
import still doesn't support TLS or SSL v3) so I can essentially
tunnel all communication out that way... I'll have to use the open
wifi, since Plan 9 doesn't do WPA, and I wouldn't trust Defcon's WPA
network either in any case. Can anyone think of a problem with this
plan, besides the fact that anyone sniffing packets will figure out
that the owner of jfloren.net is quite probably in attendance?

John