* [9fans] missing man pages
@ 2004-12-09 14:59 Sergey Reva
From: Sergey Reva @ 2004-12-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans

Where can I get information for writing servers (and drivers too) in Plan 9.
I see devdup.c but i can't find man pages for devdir, and other
function. I see ramfs.c but it too big for sample, maybe someone have
more simple service (devdup.c it's really simple driver).

--
http://rs-rlab.narod.ru                          mailto:rs_rlab@mail.ru

* Re: [9fans] missing man pages
@ 2004-12-09 15:10 ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2004-12-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rs_rlab, 9fans

9p (section 5) is a good reference regarding what the kernel may ask a driver
to perform (drivers are 9p servers).

There is no manual for the kernel interface for device drivers.
This could perhaps deserve a section in the manual, but it's missing.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2659 bytes --]

From: Sergey Reva <rs_rlab@mail.ru>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] missing man pages
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:59:39 +0200

@ 2004-12-09 16:15   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-12-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>There is no manual for the kernel interface for device drivers.

we did some for Inferno in section 10 for the common interfaces or functions,
which will be close, even when the wording isn't wonderful,
but they are still not a substitute for an overview paper, describing
things such as overall structure and conventions,
and important things such as reference counting,
why/when/how to lock, when to waserror(), ...

* Re: [9fans] missing man pages
@ 2004-12-10 19:56 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-12-10 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rs_rlab, 9fans

for writing user level file servers look at the
manual pages for 9p(2) and 9pfile(2).

-Steve