* [9fans] Best installation for a standalone desktop
@ 2006-08-03  7:33 csant
From: csant @ 2006-08-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hola,

I have been wondering what the best Plan 9 installation for a standalone
desktop machine would be. Initially I had been thinking the default
terminal installation was a good choice, but it seems to not require the
user to actually log in - or is there a way on a standalone terminal to
require authentication?

As far as I am understanding things, I need to configure the machine as a
cpu and authentication server to use it as a standalone desktop machine
where users need to authenticate to log in?

What is the reccomended installation for a standalone desktop machine?
/c

* Re: [9fans] Best installation for a standalone desktop
@ 2006-08-03 14:08 ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-08-03 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/3/06, csant <csant@csant.info> wrote:
> Hola,
>
> I have been wondering what the best Plan 9 installation for a standalone
> desktop machine would be. Initially I had been thinking the default
> terminal installation was a good choice, but it seems to not require the
> user to actually log in - or is there a way on a standalone terminal to
> require authentication?

A terminal doesnt listen to services on the net, so authentication is
not an issue.
If what you want is simply to put a password to go to take a coffee, there is
a lock command, but I am not sure if it comes with the regular distribution.

> As far as I am understanding things, I need to configure the machine as a
> cpu and authentication server to use it as a standalone desktop machine
> where users need to authenticate to log in?

You need at least to set an authentication server if you want that
machine to listen to the network and authenticate users.

> What is the reccomended installation for a standalone desktop machine?
> /c

Depends on your needs/wants. For one user I'd say terminal. No remote
connection,
the owner booting the machine owns all of its resources. If you want
to login remotely
but are on a good network you may consider just using vnc to that machine though
it is not very secure and wastes your resources.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Best installation for a standalone desktop
@ 2006-08-03 14:39   ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-08-03 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gorka guardiola wrote:
> On 8/3/06, csant <csant@csant.info> wrote:
>> Hola,
>>
>> I have been wondering what the best Plan 9 installation for a standalone
>> desktop machine would be. Initially I had been thinking the default
>> terminal installation was a good choice, but it seems to not require the
>> user to actually log in - or is there a way on a standalone terminal to
>> require authentication?
>
> A terminal doesnt listen to services on the net, so authentication is
> not an issue.
> If what you want is simply to put a password to go to take a coffee,
> there is
> a lock command, but I am not sure if it comes with the regular
> distribution.
>

>> As far as I am understanding things, I need to configure the machine as a
>> cpu and authentication server to use it as a standalone desktop machine
>> where users need to authenticate to log in?

Or provide a bios password if your box has such a thing.
"security" on desktop computers are often false security - with a
password protected login someone can boot another alternative OS
and access data at the drives anyway - not to mention steal the
harddrive.

* Re: [9fans] Best installation for a standalone desktop
@ 2006-08-03 16:25     ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-08-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/3/06, "Nils O. Selåsdal" <noselasd@asgaard.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Gorka guardiola wrote:
> Or provide a bios password if your box has such a thing.
> "security" on desktop computers are often false security - with a
> password protected login someone can boot another alternative OS
> and access data at the drives anyway - not to mention steal the
> harddrive.

Or use a big stick to smash it. This is the "big stick principle".
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fms27/papers/2006-JohnsonSta-guests.pdf

lock is just something to use  against curiosity
in your office when you go to the bathroom and for
that use it is sufficient.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* [9fans] Plan9 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
@ 2006-08-03 20:50       ` Drew Hohmann
From: Drew Hohmann @ 2006-08-03 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi All,
Has anyone had any luck getting plan9 to work in Virtual PC 2004?  It's
the easiest way for me to get started with it, but on my 3.4GHz
hyper-threaded P4, plan9 installs ok but then when it's finished and
reboots I get constant disk errors (Virtual PC is setup with a fixed
size 4GB hd, and I'm installing fossil+venturi).
On my 900MHz P3 (still using VirtualPC), plan9 installed ok, then I
rebooted, logged in as glenda, created a new account, and entered
fshalt.  fshalt sat their synchronizing, and 24hrs later was still
sitting there busy synchronizing (Virtual PC was setup with a 6GB fixed
size hd, and fossil+venturi was installed).

Has anyone had any luck with Virtual PC?  I'd really like to use
fossil+venturi in a production system, so just installing fossil alone
isn't worth it.

Thanks for any help.
Drew

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
@ 2006-08-03 22:53         ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-03 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/3/06, Drew Hohmann <drew@med-associates.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Has anyone had any luck getting plan9 to work in Virtual PC 2004?  It's
> the easiest way for me to get started with it, but on my 3.4GHz
> hyper-threaded P4, plan9 installs ok but then when it's finished and
> reboots I get constant disk errors (Virtual PC is setup with a fixed
> size 4GB hd, and I'm installing fossil+venturi).
> On my 900MHz P3 (still using VirtualPC), plan9 installed ok, then I
> rebooted, logged in as glenda, created a new account, and entered
> fshalt.  fshalt sat their synchronizing, and 24hrs later was still
> sitting there busy synchronizing (Virtual PC was setup with a 6GB fixed
> size hd, and fossil+venturi was installed).
>
> Has anyone had any luck with Virtual PC?  I'd really like to use
> fossil+venturi in a production system, so just installing fossil alone
> isn't worth it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Drew

Well, I think the synchronizing problems with fshalt could be because
fossil dumps to venti at the first boot; this takes a very long time
and would take a lot longer on a virtual machine. I don't know if
fshalt stops the process; if it doesn't, I assume it would wait for
the dump to finish.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI