* [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04  5:06 Leonardo Valencia
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leonardo Valencia @ 2006-08-04  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings Plan9 community,

I finally got my plan9 installation to work fine with qemu and I just
wanted to share my joy with all of you.

It took me a while because I spent a couple weeks just reading all
possible information about plan9, sadly enough I had no idea of the
existence of the OS, it came to my attention thanks to a recent Slashdot
post.

The OS is great, I got 9fs to work fine with the outside world (I am
connected to sources right now). Also nntpfs works fine I even read the
latest posts in comp.os.plan9 in my /mnt/news/comp/os/plan9 directory.
Too bad I could not post from there too.

Anyway, I already have tons of question that I will defer for a better
moment if I don't find answers for them online first. In the meantime I
wonder what happened to all the "cross" compilers (like 2c, 3c, etc )
they seem to be missing from the 386/bin dir.

Regards,

-Leonardo Valencia

* Re: [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04  5:16 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-08-04  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anyway, I already have tons of question that I will defer for a better
> moment if I don't find answers for them online first. In the meantime I
> wonder what happened to all the "cross" compilers (like 2c, 3c, etc )
> they seem to be missing from the 386/bin dir.

i don't think all the compilers are "compiled" in, but if you go to
/sys/src/cmd/ and do a 'mk all; mk install' you'll get at least a few
more. try for example the alpha compilers:

for(i in a c l) { cd /sys/src/cmd/7$i && mk install }

then try:

%objtype=alpha mk all

in /sys/src/cmd. it'll be a useless exercise as you don't have any
alpha machines (i presume) but still worth a try, just for kicks.

do ask your questions here, many of us keep learning when another,
more knowledgable 9fan responds, even if we think we know the answer
:)

* Re: [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04  5:34   ` Leonardo Valencia
From: Leonardo Valencia @ 2006-08-04  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> i don't think all the compilers are "compiled" in, but if you go to
> /sys/src/cmd/ and do a 'mk all; mk install' you'll get at least a few
> more. try for example the alpha compilers:
>
> for(i in a c l) { cd /sys/src/cmd/7$i && mk install }
>
> then try:
>
> %objtype=alpha mk all
>
> in /sys/src/cmd. it'll be a useless exercise as you don't have any
> alpha machines (i presume) but still worth a try, just for kicks.

Thanks a lot for the great pointer ! I will compile a couple of them
just for fun. I don't have any alpha machines around, but I think qemu
can emulate some other ones (like ppc and mips) not sure if plan9 will
install on those emulations but I can try.

> do ask your questions here, many of us keep learning when another,
> more knowledgable 9fan responds, even if we think we know the answer
> :)

I will ask my questions here then (not tonight though) thanks again for
your quick response!

Regards,

-Leonardo Valencia

* Re: [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04  6:41 ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-08-04  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Greetings Plan9 community,
>
> I finally got my plan9 installation to work fine with qemu and I just
> wanted to share my joy with all of you.
Welcome! I am sure you will have lots of fun discovering the system :)
/c (on his way discovering the system...)

* Re: [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04 13:29 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-08-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

doesn't the post file work for you?

in the old days, one could cd /usr/spool/news/comp/os/plan9/
(i may have that path slightly wrong -- it's been a while)
and read from there.

- erik

On Fri Aug  4 00:09:48 CDT 2006, leov_plan9@mephisto.cotse.net wrote:
> The OS is great, I got 9fs to work fine with the outside world (I am
> connected to sources right now). Also nntpfs works fine I even read the
> latest posts in comp.os.plan9 in my /mnt/news/comp/os/plan9 directory.
> Too bad I could not post from there too.
>
> Anyway, I already have tons of question that I will defer for a better
> moment if I don't find answers for them online first. In the meantime I
> wonder what happened to all the "cross" compilers (like 2c, 3c, etc )
> they seem to be missing from the 386/bin dir.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Leonardo Valencia

* Re: [9fans] It is finally alive !!
@ 2006-08-04 14:42   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/4/06, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> doesn't the post file work for you?
>
> in the old days, one could cd /usr/spool/news/comp/os/plan9/
> (i may have that path slightly wrong -- it's been a while)
> and read from there.
>
> - erik
You can't post directly to c.o.plan9

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI