* [9fans] vncs on a cpu/auth machine
@ 2006-08-12 23:44 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-12 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all
I've got my little old auth/cpu machine sitting here, and I'd like to
run vncs (for a persistent desktop, and to show that I can), but when
I run "vncs", it starts a desktop, but when I try to connect from my
Linux box, I get this message:

vncs: vncchal: needkey dom? proto=p9sk1 user?

What have I forgotten to do? I'm running vncs as bootes, from the console.
Thanks

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] vncs on a cpu/auth machine
@ 2006-08-13  8:56 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-13  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi all
> I've got my little old auth/cpu machine sitting here, and I'd like to
> run vncs (for a persistent desktop, and to show that I can), but when
> I run "vncs", it starts a desktop, but when I try to connect from my
> Linux box, I get this message:

You know cpu(1), right?

> vncs: vncchal: needkey dom? proto=p9sk1 user?

your vnc-client does not supply a username, imho.

@ 2006-08-13 14:23   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-13 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/13/06, Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I've got my little old auth/cpu machine sitting here, and I'd like to
> > run vncs (for a persistent desktop, and to show that I can), but when
> > I run "vncs", it starts a desktop, but when I try to connect from my
> > Linux box, I get this message:
> >

> You know cpu(1), right?

What does that have to do with it?

> > vncs: vncchal: needkey dom? proto=p9sk1 user?
>
> your vnc-client does not supply a username, imho.

So... what do I do? I have connected to both 9grid.de and tip9ug.jp
using vnc clients that do not supply usernames.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI