* [9fans] fun with ken's file server
@ 2014-04-10  4:33 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-10  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've got a little afternoon project that requires ken's file server
on a modest little box with low-end intel gigabit but
16gb of memory.  this is the first machine i've been
able to really use the amd64 ken kernel with.  for
testing, i loaded my active file system.  it fits in ram.
using just 1.1 out of the 1.9 million ram blocks.
"check" runs in 119ms.  (or less than the time it takes
to ping spain.)  check visits every file in the fs. for
normal fs access, it's pretty fast, too.

	ladd; cd /386/bin; ls -l gs
	--rwxrwxr-x M 688 sys sys 13275174 Jan 16  2006 gs

time output for cat'ing to dev null

	0.00u 0.01s 0.36r 	 cat gs		# uncached
	0.00u 0.01s 0.31r 	 cat gs
	0.00u 0.00s 0.18r 	 fatcat gs		# uses iounit=6*8k
	0.00u 0.00s 0.11r 	 fcp gs /dev/null	# 97% wire speed

fatfcp was omitted because it provides no benefit.  we're already
at wire speed.

- erik

ps.  if you're thinking of playing with this, please contact me off
list.  there are a few bits not in the atom sources yet.

pps.  if you love venti+fossil, don't worry.  the usb amd64 installer
appears to be working smoothly.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-04-10  4:33 UTC | newest]