* [9fans] Peter Bosch's TV software
@ 2015-12-02 17:35 lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-12-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Long ago Peter Bosch developed and distributed rather narrowly a "tv"
command that used the #V device successfully.

As devtv.c is not documented in the man pages and I cannot find an
entry in sources, does anyone know where I may be able to get hold of
the necessary additional code?

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Peter Bosch's TV software
@ 2015-12-02 19:14 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2015-12-02 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 at 2:58:35 AM UTC+2, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> >   I don't see this program in the latest bits from
> >   http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/
> >
> >   Where did you get it from ?
>
> Go personal to Peter Bosch at Lucent.
> You can find his mail address from the archives of this list.
>
> Kenji

You might have to go personal to Peter Bosch, too :)

@ 2015-12-02 20:23 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-12-02 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I may have the code, I might even have a haupage card somewhere.

The card had an rf tuner and a composite (maybe y/c) input and as such is more than a little dated in these Meg 2/4 broadcast days (in the uk at least).

-Steve

@ 2015-12-02 21:57   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2015-12-02 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2 December 2015 at 19:14, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Go personal to Peter Bosch at Lucent.

That would be Cisco.

* Re: [9fans] Peter Bosch's TV software
@ 2015-12-03  3:20   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-12-03  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I may have the code, I might even have a haupage card somewhere.

I found a PlayTV Pro (pixelview) atapter on eBay for a $1US (shipping from Greece cost quite a bit more than that) and I was hoping to use it.  I don't really know what may need adjusting, but it is recognised.

> The card had an rf tuner and a composite (maybe y/c) input and as
> such is more than a little dated in these Meg 2/4 broadcast days (in
> the uk at least).

We haven't migrated to HD here yet, although TV sets are available.
But it's only to distract me :-)

@ 2015-12-04 20:07     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-12-04 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tangentially related, another option is a DVB-T (USB) receiver; they
would work in EU, Middle-East, Africa, Australia.

there is an open source library for rtl2832u-based DVB-T receivers.
(http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr).  i think the major effort
in porting it to plan9 would be replacing its use of libusb.  the
receiver can be used to receive/decode many other signals.

for North America (HDTV), you'd need an ATSC receiver.  there
are linux open source projects that have drivers for them (VLC,
GnuRadio), but that's probably a much bigger porting job.