* [9fans] problems installing the plan9 distribution on fileserver
@ 2003-03-27  1:35 Matthew Haas
From: Matthew Haas @ 2003-03-27  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

 My adventures with Plan 9 continue... thanks to the people who helped me
get past the initial fileserver configure stage... I've managed to create
& ream the main filesystem, and with some digging through online
documentation my auth/cpu & fileserver are now talking to each other.

 I've managed to mount the fileserver onto the auth/cpu server directory
tree, as listed in the "Installing a Plan 9 File Server" document.
However, when I get to the following command:

 wrap/inst -ovr /n/$FILESERVER plan9.9gz

 I get the following error message:

 wrap/inst: '/bin/wrap' directory entry not found

 This has me utterly baffled. I take it I am supposed to have this utility
installed on the auth/cpu server from the install, but it does not seem to
be there.

 I've tried searching for it:

 du -a . | grep wrap    (also for inst, no luck on either)

 I am running Plan 9 4th edition "current-as-of-2-weeks-ago" (x86) ...
currently doing another pull to see if perhaps something is missing.

 Any suggestions? Unless I am completely off-base on this, it just seems I
am missing a utility I should have... as I think everything else is
communicating as it should.

 Thanks in advance.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"

* Re: [9fans] problems installing the plan9 distribution on fileserver
@ 2003-03-27  2:23 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-27  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  My adventures with Plan 9 continue... thanks to the people who helped me
> get past the initial fileserver configure stage... I've managed to create
> & ream the main filesystem, and with some digging through online
> documentation my auth/cpu & fileserver are now talking to each other.
>
>  I've managed to mount the fileserver onto the auth/cpu server directory
> tree, as listed in the "Installing a Plan 9 File Server" document.
> However, when I get to the following command:
>
>  wrap/inst -ovr /n/$FILESERVER plan9.9gz
>
>  I get the following error message:
>
>  wrap/inst: '/bin/wrap' directory entry not found
>
>  This has me utterly baffled. I take it I am supposed to have this utility
> installed on the auth/cpu server from the install, but it does not seem to
> be there.
>
>  I've tried searching for it:
>
>  du -a . | grep wrap    (also for inst, no luck on either)
>
>  I am running Plan 9 4th edition "current-as-of-2-weeks-ago" (x86) ...
> currently doing another pull to see if perhaps something is missing.
>
>  Any suggestions? Unless I am completely off-base on this, it just seems I
> am missing a utility I should have... as I think everything else is
> communicating as it should.
>
>  Thanks in advance.

Argh, I've been meaning to fix that.  Basically, wrap/* no longer
exists; that functionality has been taken over by the replica tools.

I'm a little surprised your du -a /root | grep inst didn't see
/root/dist/replica/inst; that's on sources, but maybe it's not making
it into the installation logs or something.  Anyway, I'd do a pull, and
if /dist/replica/inst doesn't exist, copy it off of sources by hand.
Then you can do:

	9fs sources
	bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
	srv $FILESERVER
	mount -c /srv/$FILESERVER /n/inst
	replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst

Which will populate /n/inst with the current version of the system from
sources.  You might want to wait a while though; rsc is pushing out
some changes to namespace and some other stuff that (I don't think)
have hit sources yet, but which will be backwards incompatible.  It's
worth it to wait so you avoid the incompatibility.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] problems installing the plan9 distribution on fileserver
@ 2003-03-27  3:15   ` Matthew Haas
From: Matthew Haas @ 2003-03-27  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> I'm a little surprised your du -a /root | grep inst didn't see
> /root/dist/replica/inst; that's on sources, but maybe it's not making
> it into the installation logs or something.  Anyway, I'd do a pull, and
> if /dist/replica/inst doesn't exist, copy it off of sources by hand.
> Then you can do:

 So, if I read this correctly:

> 	9fs sources

 mount the sources.cs.bell-labs.com namespace onto my /n/sources ...

> 	bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist

 make it so the plan9 distribution appears in /n/dist ...

> 	srv $FILESERVER
> 	mount -c /srv/$FILESERVER /n/inst

 mount the fileserver namespace onto /n/inst

> 	replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst
>
> Which will populate /n/inst with the current version of the system from

 ?? I don't have a /dist/replica/inst, but if I did... would this
accomplish the task of installing the plan9 distribution onto the
fileserver?

 I see above you mention I may have to copy it from sources.. I'll
investigate this after a good night's rest.

> sources.  You might want to wait a while though; rsc is pushing out
> some changes to namespace and some other stuff that (I don't think)
> have hit sources yet, but which will be backwards incompatible.  It's
> worth it to wait so you avoid the incompatibility.

 Define "a while"... tonight? a couple of days? I just finished a pull and
got a lot of new files... I'll give it another look in the morning.

 If I have to I can eventually rebuild everything as I am still
experimenting, but hopefully I can get it to a state to play with limbo
and some distributed programming (implement the travelling salesperson
problem). Any pointers on distributed programming in Plan 9?

 Thank you very much for your reply! It has helped to clarify a lot in
regards to exploring Plan 9.

---

@ 2003-03-27  3:32     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-27  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> mount the sources.cs.bell-labs.com namespace onto my /n/sources ...

Yup.

> make it so the plan9 distribution appears in /n/dist ...

Yup.

> mount the fileserver namespace onto /n/inst

Yup.

>  ?? I don't have a /dist/replica/inst, but if I did... would this
> accomplish the task of installing the plan9 distribution onto the
> fileserver?

And yup.

>  I see above you mention I may have to copy it from sources.. I'll
> investigate this after a good night's rest.

Yeah; it's in /n/sources/plan9/dist/replica/inst.  It really ought to
be in the distribution; I don't know why it isn't.  Russ?

> > sources.  You might want to wait a while though; rsc is pushing out
> > some changes to namespace and some other stuff that (I don't think)
> > have hit sources yet, but which will be backwards incompatible.  It's
> > worth it to wait so you avoid the incompatibility.
>
>  Define "a while"... tonight? a couple of days? I just finished a pull and
> got a lot of new files... I'll give it another look in the morning.

I think I'd better let rsc answer that.  :-)

>  If I have to I can eventually rebuild everything as I am still
> experimenting, but hopefully I can get it to a state to play with limbo
> and some distributed programming (implement the travelling salesperson
> problem). Any pointers on distributed programming in Plan 9?

Sounds like fun.  The papers in /sys/doc are a good start.

>  Thank you very much for your reply! It has helped to clarify a lot in
> regards to exploring Plan 9.

No problem.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] problems installing the plan9 distribution on fileserver
@ 2003-03-27  3:47       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-03-27  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  Define "a while"... tonight? a couple of days? I just finished a pull and
>> got a lot of new files... I'll give it another look in the morning.
>
> I think I'd better let rsc answer that.  :-)

If you're just starting out, none of the changes
should affect things you're doing.

Russ