* Re: [9fans] Alpha
@ 2004-04-23 16:35 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-04-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> Geoff Collyer<geoff@collyer.net> 4/23/2004 1:56:29 AM >>>
>My alpha seems to be broken.

What is "broken"?  Hardware, or the software doesn't work correctly?

>There didn't seem to be much advantage to Plan 9 on the Alpha aside
>from floating point speed and a non-x86 CPU.

That's plenty good enough for me!!

* Re: [9fans] Alpha
@ 2004-04-23 22:22 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-04-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The hardware seems to be broken.  One day it suddenly stopped getting
2114x (ethernet) interrupts.  My initial attempt at diagnosis suggests
that it's not getting interrupts from PCI devices.  We're moving into
a house with grounded electrical outlets on May 1st (after three years
without grounds) and I'll revisit this and other hardware issues then.

Agreed that it's pleasant to not have an x86 cpu.

* Re: [9fans] Alpha
@ 2004-04-23  8:56 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-04-23  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My alpha seems to be broken.  I had been booting it from Plan 9.  I
think that your dhcp server just needs to provide the options that
Plan 9 expects (where's the file server, auth server, etc.?) or you
have to supply that information in /alpha/conf.

There didn't seem to be much advantage to Plan 9 on the Alpha aside
from floating point speed and a non-x86 CPU.

* [9fans] Alpha
@ 2004-04-23  7:26 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-04-23  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone run Plan 9 on the Alpha?  I know that the Alpha platform must be booted via bootp/tftp.  Must these services be running on another Plan 9 system, or can I simply compile the bootloader and kernel, and move them over to another platform to be served up under another OS?  I simply can't afford to keep another Plan 9 system around to boot the Alpha...

Thanks in advance for any tips