From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] 802.11b oddities
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:25:43 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue Feb 10 04:49:30 EST 2004, jas@spamisham.corpus-callosum.com wrote:

> Everything was fine until someone nearby added another 802.11b network.
> Now, even though my plan9.ini sets essid=string to my network name, the
> other network now takes precidence and ends up messing up my net settings.

The plan9.ini essid=string should be forcing it.  It does exactly what
the echo does  I take it you've made sure that the case in the essid
option is set in the particular case of the plan9.ini that you're
falling through?

What kind of card do you have?  You might try sticking a print into
/sys/src/9/pc/etherwavelan.c to see if it is getting set in the initialization.
In wavelanpcireset() and wavelanpcmciareset(), you'll find the following
bit of code:

	for(i = 0; i < ether->nopt; i++){
		if(p = strchr(ether->opt[i], '='))
			*p = ' ';
		w_option(ctlr, ether->opt[i], strlen(ether->opt[i]));
	}

Stick a print there to see if its calling w_option with an essid
set.  You might also stick a similar print in w_option.