* [9fans] 802.11b oddities
@ 2004-02-10  9:36 Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2004-02-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been using Plan 9 on my laptop for quite some time now (never even
booted the XP that came with it... unfortunately, neither IBM nor M$ will
reimburse me for the XP license I wouldn't sign or use).  From the very
first boot, I'd set up the plan9.ini file to have multiple configs to help
choose which network I would be using.

Everything was fine until someone nearby added another 802.11b network.
Now, even though my plan9.ini sets essid=string to my network name, the
other network now takes precidence and ends up messing up my net settings.

Luckily an echo 'essid string' > /net/ether0/0/ctl fixes the problem.

Is there a way to properly force the 802.11b network choice outside of
explicitely setting it in termrc?

jas
---
remove spamisham.

* Re: [9fans] 802.11b oddities
@ 2004-02-10 13:58 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there a way to properly force the 802.11b network choice outside of
> explicitely setting it in termrc?

plan9.ini?

* Re: [9fans] 802.11b oddities
@ 2004-02-10 15:25 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-10 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb 10 04:49:30 EST 2004, jas@spamisham.corpus-callosum.com wrote:

> Everything was fine until someone nearby added another 802.11b network.
> Now, even though my plan9.ini sets essid=string to my network name, the
> other network now takes precidence and ends up messing up my net settings.

The plan9.ini essid=string should be forcing it.  It does exactly what
the echo does  I take it you've made sure that the case in the essid
option is set in the particular case of the plan9.ini that you're
falling through?

What kind of card do you have?  You might try sticking a print into
/sys/src/9/pc/etherwavelan.c to see if it is getting set in the initialization.
In wavelanpcireset() and wavelanpcmciareset(), you'll find the following
bit of code:

	for(i = 0; i < ether->nopt; i++){
		if(p = strchr(ether->opt[i], '='))
			*p = ' ';
		w_option(ctlr, ether->opt[i], strlen(ether->opt[i]));
	}

Stick a print there to see if its calling w_option with an essid
set.  You might also stick a similar print in w_option.

* Re: [9fans] 802.11b oddities
@ 2004-02-12 10:01   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2004-02-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org> wrote:

> What kind of card do you have?  You might try sticking a print into
> /sys/src/9/pc/etherwavelan.c to see if it is getting set in the initialization.

As it turns out, the T23 I've got must use 'wavelanpci' instead of
'wavelan' in the plan9.ini.

Setting DEBUG also helped identify that I'd had the config incorrect.

Thanks.

jas
---
remove the spamisham