* Re: [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-09 16:45 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-10-09 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've sort of always wondered why lp wasn't implemented as a filesystem;
> I'm guessing it's historical.

Right.  It predates Plan 9.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-09 16:39 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-09 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> lp is a shell script.  It's really not too hard to put echo statements
> into various places to figure out what's wrong, but the chain of
> scripts calling scripts is pretty daunting the first time you dig in.
> Half the time it's a new ghostscript that's broken something
> mysteriously.

I've sort of always wondered why lp wasn't implemented as a filesystem;
I'm guessing it's historical.  The lp command could then just be a
wrapper around cat.  Someone mentioned this once.  It might've even
been Bushnell, but it was a good idea.  Something else to do in my
copious spare time....

	- Dan C.

* [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-08 18:52 Thomas West
From: Thomas West @ 2002-10-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After upgrade from a recent cd image lp fails; printing is normal on win95
My system is a standalone pc.

after
cat foo| lp
the print light blinks , as if to start printing ,but quits after about a
second and goes back to standby.
I can print this way:
cat foo| lp -dstdout > /dev/lpt1data

but the result is the intended file along with a spurious page.

Nothing was written to log , prob, tmp, or queue in /sys/lib/lp

lp -d'?' lists the printer.

Guidance valued-

-Tom

* Re: [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-08 16:08   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-10-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ writes:
| Would people find it helpful to have a ``bleeding edge''
| CD image of the whole sources archive regenerated
| every night that you could use to update if you can't
| get to sources from inside Plan 9?

Sure, that would be rather like how Debian has "stable" and "testing"
releases.

* Re: [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-08 16:06 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Specifically the bug is in /sys/src/ape/lib/ap/stdio/freopen.c
(and /sys/src/libstdio/freopen.c, but that's not relevant here),
and affects the /386/bin/aux/download binary.

The corrected files are on sources.  If you need them
and can't access sources, feel free to mail me.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] lp doesn't work after upgrade from downloaded cd image
@ 2002-10-08 16:01 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-10-08 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-08 15:58 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-08 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's a bug in the lp on the CD image, due to
a bug in the APE freopen.  The version on sources
is corrected.  If I remember correctly, that doesn't
help you.

@ 2002-10-08 13:36 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think a weekly or monthly image would be sufficient; I have found
> replica to be very efficient in getting updates, even large upgrades
> (like the last one).

I will read messages completely and carefully before replying.

@ 2002-10-08 12:57 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-08 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think a weekly or monthly image would be sufficient; I have found
replica to be very efficient in getting updates, even large upgrades
(like the last one).

With a growing user base and big enough volunteer QA effort, it would
be possible to coordinate a collective test of the weekly releases,
for example, and then pick the best in a three-six month period as the
official release, especially for people that want it for operational use.

BTW, a question for the people that use the system for operational
use: how often do you update/upgrade?  (by operational I also would
include stable teaching/research environments)