* RE: [9fans] DVD & scuzz
@ 2006-01-16  6:37 cej
From: cej @ 2006-01-16  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks! Do I need to fixate the disc even if I just want to write
a single TAR file on it, just to create /dev/sdD0/data ??

From: geoff @ 2006-01-16  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It appears that you need to fixate, even in the case you describe.
Failing to do so caused my DVD drive to remain busy until I reset the
machine.

The DVD formats other than DVD-RAM, even the so-called `RW' formats,
really don't fit the old block-device model.  The RW formats require
an erase pass, then a sustained-burn pass, ending with fixation.  The
R formats don't require the erase pass, but aren't rewritable.

DVD-RAM actually does permit seeking to and rewriting individual
sectors and doesn't require fixation; it's much more rational for
storing data (and copes better with errors than DVD+, which copes
better than DVD-).

* Re: [9fans] DVD & scuzz
@ 2006-01-13 22:47 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-01-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could try my scuzz.  I just updated the distribution to match my
production sources.  Try /n/sources/contrib/geoff/scuzz.mine.bun.

That should get you past the `bad argument' problem, though I no
longer remember what change fixed that.  You'll still have to find a
way to finalise or fixate the disc and I don't think scuzz has that
command in its repertoire yet.  cdfs knows how to fixate CDs; I'm not
sure if DVDs take the same command(s) or not.

* [9fans] DVD & scuzz
@ 2006-01-13 14:09 cej
From: cej @ 2006-01-13 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi, friends,
i have problems writing to ATAPI DVD-R using scuzz:

term% scuzz /dev/sdD0
block size: 2048
write foo.tar
bad argument to request

if i'm not doing something wrong, could somebody, please, put her/his hands on scuzz and fix this?? for now, i burn TAR file under linux, and /dev/sdD0/data is readable under plan9 OK.

thanks,
++pac.