* [9fans] how to use 9loaddebug
@ 2007-06-07  7:50 Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-07  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

i am trying to use 9loaddebug to see if it can help to discover why
when i put the bios with sata in enhaced mode 9load hangs.

I used disk/format as in prep(8), but it just prints PBS2... and hangs
(and now hangs with all possible ide configurations in bios, so i
can't boot anymore).

is that the way 9loaddebug should be used or i missed something?

thanks,

gabi

* Re: [9fans] how to use 9loaddebug
@ 2007-06-07  8:23 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-06-07  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is that the way 9loaddebug should be used or i missed something?

9loaddebug is a copy of 9load that is linked like a regular plan 9 executable,
so that it can be used with acid (as shown by the commands that
mk 9loaddebug prints).

a typical use is when 9load crashes at PC 0x8001023a you run

	% acid 9loaddebug
	acid: map({"text", 0x80010000, 0x80090000, 0x00000020})
	acid: src(0x8001023a)

it is "debug" in the sense that it has debugging information
usable by acid.

it is not "debug" in the sense that it is a working binary
that prints debugging info.  you'll need to put the original
9load back in order to boot again (use a plan 9 cd).

russ

* Re: [9fans] how to use 9loaddebug
@ 2007-06-07  9:03   ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-07  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

oh, thank you, should i submit a patch to 9load man page with this information?

gabi

@ 2007-06-07 12:27 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-07 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

did the original 9load hang witout printing anything?

"PBS2..." is printed by pbslba. you might not be
successfully loading/jumping to 9load at all. one thing
you can do is add

	i8042a20();
	memset(m, 0, sizeof(Mach));
+	consinit("0", 0);
+	print("9load started\n");

right at the top of 9load.  if you don't get there,
the the problem is in pbslba.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] how to use 9loaddebug
@ 2007-06-07 12:34   ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-07 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

the problem was what russ said, now i have it working again,

thanks

gabi