* [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-09 22:17 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-07-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://hci-matters.com/blog/?p=8
Just keep in mind, there's one right way to do everything.  (sigh)

* Re: [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-09 22:33 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-07-09 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://hci-matters.com/blog/?p=8

the mouse may be retired for the finger if done the iphone way
(maybe).  iphone is a cool gadget.  i like the way magnification is
controlled with two fingure motion.

* Re: [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-09 22:43   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-07-09 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-09 22:45 ` john
From: john @ 2007-07-09 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://hci-matters.com/blog/?p=8
> Just keep in mind, there's one right way to do everything.  (sigh)

Yes, look at the poor proletariot, pretending that ctrl-s is faster than
grabbing the mouse and mid-clicking on "Put"! Fallacy.

If anybody needs me, I'll be burning my keyboard at the Altar of
The Mouse.

John

* Re: [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-09 22:50   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-07-09 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] The Misused Mouse
@ 2007-07-10 13:52     ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-07-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Paul Lalonde wrote:
> I'm just annoyed at the repeated fallacy that a pointing tablet &
> stylus is better than the mouse.  That's only true if the display is
> the tablet - absolute position interfaces are very awkward to
> navigate with when you're not looking at them.

You can say exactly the same thing about the mouse!
The obvious solution is to drive a cursor.  In the PEAC
product (calligraphic vector display and tablet) we used
full-screen crosshairs (low intensity) and it worked great.
If you have ever tried to draw with a mouse and with a
tablet, assuming good software, you'll have found that the
tablet is better for fine detail.