* [9fans] GSoC: applications, call for ideas & mentors, mailing list, irc
@ 2010-03-09  3:36 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2010-03-09  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Folks:
	The application period for organizations wishing to participate in
GSoC is now open. I started our application today; all is going well.
Most of it is very straight-forward, based on what we did last year,
what worked well, and so on. There's a few things I'd like to get
community input on (most prominently, the student application template
and what sorts of requirements we want to specify).

	For that, and for other things, I'd encourage anyone who's interested
to sign up for the Plan 9 Google Summer of Code group[1]. Most of the
ongoing discussion will start taking place there. If you were on last
year, you're still on, although I'd encourage everyone to go check.

	There are two big things we need from the community right now.

	First, interested mentors. I've got a few people (~4) mail me
directly saying they're interested, and a few more (~4) saying they'll
help unofficially but can't/won't mentor this year. If you're
Interested in mentoring, please add yourself to the GSoC wiki page[2].
Put your name, some form of contact info (email, IRC nick), and what
sorts of things you'd like to mentor. Remember that this is a list of
potentials, not a hard commitment: if you don't see a project that
grabs you, nobody will make you mentor.

	Second (and this is maybe the most fun part): ideas! We need to
expand what's there and add some more to that list. I'm hoping we can
get some good student-contributed ideas again, but it's always good to
have some things to get the mental gears moving. If you're short on
time, just add them to the list for now, but before the student
application period starts (preferably this week) we'll need to go
through and flesh them all out a bit more.

	Finally, note that a lot of the discussion for GSoC happens on IRC.
The Google folks (and many org admins, mentors, and students) hang out
in #gsoc, #plan9 has a lot of gsoc-related content, and when things
heat up (provided we get accepted) much of the gsoc-specific
discussion moves to #plan9-gsoc

	That's it for now. Again, ideas and mentors! If you've got any
questions, drop me a line.

Anthony

[1]	http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc
[2]	http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/gsoc-2010/index.html