* [9fans] plot cmd dotted dashed lines not implemented??
@ 2009-02-24 15:03 Fernan Bolando
       [not found] ` <e54e70b5c2ec8214184049387cda27b7@quanstro.net>
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-02-24 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

The following commands draws a green circle with solid lines instead
of dashed lines
ra -10 -10 10 10
co green
pe cdash
ci 0 0 10
cl

I browsed the source for plot and libplot, I cant grep any reference
to dotted or dashed
except in the man files. Is it not implemented or am I using the
commands incorrectly?

fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] plot cmd dotted dashed lines not implemented??
@ 2009-02-24 15:13 ` erik quanstrom
       [not found] ` <e54e70b5c2ec8214184049387cda27b7@quanstro.net>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> I browsed the source for plot and libplot, I cant grep any reference
> to dotted or dashed
> except in the man files. Is it not implemented or am I using the
> commands incorrectly?

          pe string Use string as the style for drawing lines.  The
                    available pen styles are: solid, dott[ed], short,
                    long, dotd[ashed], cdash, ddash

- erik

@ 2009-02-24 22:49   ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-02-24 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> I browsed the source for plot and libplot, I cant grep any reference
>> to dotted or dashed
>> except in the man files. Is it not implemented or am I using the
>> commands incorrectly?
>
>          pe string Use string as the style for drawing lines.  The
>                    available pen styles are: solid, dott[ed], short,
>                    long, dotd[ashed], cdash, ddash
>
> - erik

Sorry Erik I dont particuarly understand your reply
I am guessing that it's referring to pe working for  lines only.

but doing this will also produce a solid line instead of what I
thought it should produce a dashed line
ra -10 -10 10 10
co green
pe cdash
li 0 0 10 10
cl

the pe command seems to call pen.c in libplot

%
#include "mplot.h"
void pen(char *s){
	/* BUG: NO OP */
	USED(s);
	/* was this error:	color(s); */
}

not sure where USED(s); is implemented.

regards
fernan

--

@ 2009-02-24 22:59     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-24 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> Sorry Erik I dont particuarly understand your reply
> I am guessing that it's referring to pe working for  lines only.

it only claims to work for lines.  evidently it does not
work at all.

> #include "mplot.h"
> void pen(char *s){
> 	/* BUG: NO OP */
> 	USED(s);
> 	/* was this error:	color(s); */
> }
>
> not sure where USED(s); is implemented.

USED is implemented by the c compiler. the syntax
is USED(var, ...).  it doesn't do anything but supress
unused variable warnings.

a more natural implementation with kenc would be

void
pen(char*)
{
	/* bug: noop */
}

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plot cmd dotted dashed lines not implemented??
@ 2009-02-24 23:02     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2009-02-24 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 24, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Fernan Bolando wrote:

> not sure where USED(s); is implemented.

It tells the compiler not to print the warning

s: set but not used

* Re: [9fans] plot cmd dotted dashed lines not implemented??
@ 2009-02-25  0:12       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2009-02-25  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Styles aren't in the libplot that plot uses as an engine. I can add
them in the next few days if you want.

@ 2009-02-25  1:30         ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-02-25  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> Styles aren't in the libplot that plot uses as an engine. I can add them in
> the next few days if you want.

It's not that critical, but if you have free time then it will be
good. Especially since the manual already mentioned it.

fernan

--

@ 2009-02-25  2:28         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-25  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb 24 21:26:55 EST 2009, forsyth@terzarima.net wrote:
> >[USED] doesn't do anything but suppress unused variable warnings.
>
> it creates a use of a value, which can have other uses.
> the elimination of the warning about the otherwise unused value is one useful consequence.

what other effects does USED have?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plot cmd dotted dashed lines not implemented??
@ 2009-02-25  2:42       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-02-25  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans