* [9fans] Win32 console apps from plan9?
@ 2004-04-05 13:25 plan9fans
From: plan9fans @ 2004-04-05 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone ported one of the open-source x86 compilers
to plan9. I know GCC works natively and thus, in theroy
I could port the x86/win32 back backend but that would
be non-trivial. I wonder if LCC would be easier?

Initially all I need is very dull console I/O, reading and
writing files etc.

I muttered about re-targeting 8c a couple of years ago
but forsyth pointed out the calling convention is so
different that a complete shim around the win32 api,
or a serious rework of 8c would be required.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Win32 console apps from plan9?
@ 2004-04-05 13:38 ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2004-04-05 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone ported one of the open-source x86 compilers
> to plan9. I know GCC works natively and thus, in theroy
> I could port the x86/win32 back backend but that would
> be non-trivial. I wonder if LCC would be easier?

I've compiled lcc on plan 9 and use it regularly.  If all you want is
to generate windows assembler that will be your best bet.

  Brantley

* Re: [9fans] Win32 console apps from plan9?
@ 2004-04-05 13:47 ` Nikolai SAOUKH
From: Nikolai SAOUKH @ 2004-04-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Initially all I need is very dull console I/O, reading and
| writing files etc.

May be inferno utils will help you?

* Re: [9fans] Win32 console apps from plan9?
@ 2004-04-05 13:51   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-04-05 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

they don't generate win 32 executables.

>I muttered about re-targeting 8c a couple of years ago
>but forsyth pointed out the calling convention is so
>different that a complete shim around the win32 api,
>or a serious rework of 8c would be required.

i think it was less the calling conventions, where
i suppose you could try to use a pragma to control it,
since caller-saves and BP as frame pointer are some of the obvious
differences but perhaps not so hard,
but rather more difficult that you'd find it hard if you
couldn't link against the existing win32 libraries
(with or without wrappers), and that would be difficult
because 8l would need to handle .obj, or 8c would need
to generate .obj, both of which (particularly the latter i think)
would be tricky.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1975 bytes --]

From: Nikolai SAOUKH <nms@otdel1.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Win32 console apps from plan9?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:47:45 +0400