* [9fans] Trouble finding current window directory in acme
@ 2016-11-26 17:41 Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-11-26 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi All,

I’m in the process of writing an interactive tutorial for plan9/acme. I’m hoping to demonstrate how to execute a command on a text file that uses the current selection as input.

According to the acme manual page there should be a /dev/acme/acme (or /mnt/acme/acme) directory that represents the current window within acme. There should be the usual body, ctl, addr, etc. files. On a regular document window I’m finding that the directory is empty. However, when I run an interactive “win” window the files are there for that window.

How does one get the /dev/acme/acme directory to be present in a normal document window? Alternatively, is there a simple way to find the index of the current acme window so that I can use the /dev/acme/x directory?

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: [9fans] Trouble finding current window directory in acme
@ 2016-11-26 17:56 ` Antons Suspans
From: Antons Suspans @ 2016-11-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:41:21PM -0500, Chris McGee wrote:
> How does one get the /dev/acme/acme directory to be present in a normal document window? Alternatively, is there a simple way to find the index of the current acme window so that I can use the /dev/acme/x directory?

Use /mnt/acme/$winid for that purpose. It's described in acme(1).

Hope this helps,
Antons

* Re: [9fans] Trouble finding current window directory in acme
@ 2016-11-26 17:59   ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-11-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, that will work.