* [9fans] Shutdown service
@ 2003-11-25 10:54 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-11-25 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

is it possible to shutdown a service which listen on a port at
runtime or is a reboot needed? I try to disable for example
tcp143. I move tcp143 to _tcp143 but the port 143 still stays open.

I know, that I cant get answers anymore from the imap server but
how to I kill the listen process? Ps ax is not very helpfull
because I only see listen not the port.

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- http://www.mteege.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Shutdown service
@ 2003-11-25 11:16 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-11-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is it possible to shutdown a service which listen on a port at
> runtime or is a reboot needed? I try to disable for example
> tcp143. I move tcp143 to _tcp143 but the port 143 still stays open.

off the top of my head listen(8) probably holds the port open and then
hands it off to the script.  so you'd have to give it a knudge and then
there is the 2 * MSL (iirc) that the port is 'unusable'.

carefully kill and restart listen after moving the script?  seems to me
to be a bit to ugly for my liking.

* Re: [9fans] Shutdown service
@ 2003-11-25 13:12 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-25 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You've shut down the service but not the port.  Nothing will wake up the listen
process to tell it that the service isn't there any more.  If its important
to you, I'll figure something out.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2489 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <matthias-9fans@mteege.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Shutdown service
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:54:03 +0100

@ 2003-11-25 13:22   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-11-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org> writes:

> You've shut down the service but not the port.  Nothing will wake up the listen
> process to tell it that the service isn't there any more.  If its important
> to you, I'll figure something out.

No it isn't important so much. If Plan9 handle it that way, it is ok
for me. The services doesnt change often and the reboot is fast.

Thanks
Matthias