* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 on notebooks
@ 2000-11-20 10:33 John A. Murdie
From: John A. Murdie @ 2000-11-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, john

On 10th November, I wrote:
>Is the `Plan 9 from Bell Labs - supported PC hardware' page
>(http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/pchardware.html) the whole
>story, particularly on the subject of Plan 9 on notebooks? The
>August 2000 FAQ (the latest I've seen) says nothing more. I'd
>rather like Plan 9 on a notebook.

Thanks again to the individuals who mailed me with useful
information. I was a little surprised to hear that 800x600
display resolution was so common. Can anyone tell me which of
the notebooks which will run Plan 9 `out of the box' (or for
which diffs are available) will support 1024x768?

John A. Murdie

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 on notebooks
@ 2000-11-21 17:33 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2000-11-21 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    John> Thanks again to the individuals who mailed me with useful
    John> information. I was a little surprised to hear that 800x600
    John> display resolution was so common. Can anyone tell me which
    John> of the notebooks which will run Plan 9 `out of the box' (or
    John> for which diffs are available) will support 1024x768?

The Dell Inspiron 7000 works at 1024x768. You have to select the
"Dell Cptxxx" entry (can't remember the exact modem number) on
the boot floppy creation webpage to get the correct settings in
plan9.ini.

--lyndon

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 on notebooks
@ 2000-11-10 17:41 John A. Murdie
From: John A. Murdie @ 2000-11-10 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, john

I guess I should have been more direct; I'm in the UK and I
would like to purchase a notebook, probably second-hand, in
order to run Plan 9. Ideally, I'd like to spend up to #500.

Recommendations, please.

John A. Murdie