* [9fans] Touchpad
       [not found] <871919239.640150.1537385688610.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-09-19 19:34 ` G B
From: G B @ 2018-09-19 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 From Bell Labs

I have 9front installed on a Lenovo N580 laptop and am using a USB mouse.  However, the touchpad is killing me.  How can I disable the touchpad so only the mouse moves?

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20  4:22   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2018-09-20  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/18, G B <g_patrickb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have 9front installed on a Lenovo N580 laptop and am using a USB mouse.
> However, the touchpad is killing me.  How can I disable the touchpad so only
> the mouse moves?

Rather exciting, I'll keep an eye out for that option, Plan 9 (well,
9front, I do not think of them as heretic) on a (modern?) laptop is
long overdue. Cherry dropped the  ball on the Yeeloong (I can see why,
no hard feelings) and that was my most recent hope.

That said, the "bios" answer prompts me to ask: Can neither Plan 9 nor
9front reach into BIOS space and perform the functions from
user/kernel space?

I cut my teeth on the fully documented IBM XT BIOS and I find it hard
to believe that today's technology has managed to shuttered all those
doorways.

Just curious. doing it in Plan 9 would really give me a warm feeling...

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20  8:25     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-09-20  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

doing it in plan 9 would be a waste of time.
i don't know what's modern to you, but if you check the fqa you can
see 9front is working on many thinkpads, even including wifi.

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 10:58       ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-09-20 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, at 9:25 AM, hiro wrote:
> doing it in plan 9 would be a waste of time.

I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I do remember wishing I could have different settings for different pointing devices on the same laptop.  At the time, I had a bunch of Kensington mice which defaulted to some ridiculously overpowered DPI setting in Linux, FreeBSD, and Plan 9, (but not Windows or Mac,) but Plan 9 had no way to adjust them separately to the trackpoint.  It doesn't matter so much now most mice have a DPI button, but per-device settings could also allow individual devices to be set as ignored.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 12:18       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2018-09-20 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/18, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> doing it in plan 9 would be a waste of time.

No argument, but a lot of time is being wasted all the time and 9fans,
perhaps with some notable exceptions, need to feel good as much as the
next person.

> i don't know what's modern to you, but if you check the fqa you can
> see 9front is working on many thinkpads, even including wifi.

Feel free to come search for thinkpads around my neck of the woods.
Let me know when you find one, or a stash, even better.

Come on, lighten up!

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 15:43         ` DHAN HURLEY
From: DHAN HURLEY @ 2018-09-20 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am sorry to break into your discussion.How do i UNSUBSCRIBE from this list
Many thanks,
Dhan Hurley

DIASPORA COMMUNITY. My PROFILE PAGE :-
IRISH, MUSICIAN, POET, PHYSICS, "FREE-ENERGY", LINUX PROFI, ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS, GEOPOLYMERS, ALTERNATIVE HEALTH-FARMING-MATERIALS, MYSTIC, etc.
https://despora.de/people/6d39a7e04a610132027a42cdb1fcde73

@ 2018-09-20 16:32         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-09-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the point is there are more worthy things to do than to work around
shitty hardware or reproduce functionality that is already provided by
the bios in plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 16:44           ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-09-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DHAN HURLEY, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 03:43:48PM +0000, DHAN HURLEY wrote:
> Hi,
> I am sorry to break into your discussion.How do i UNSUBSCRIBE from this list
> Many thanks,
> Dhan Hurley

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 16:56           ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2018-09-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/18, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> the point is there are more worthy things to do than to work around
> shitty hardware or reproduce functionality that is already provided by
> the bios in plan 9.

I couldn't agree more. But does it help to repeat that refrain, here?
That could also be deemed time spent on a pointless pursuit. And so is
this discussion :-(

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20 17:19             ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-09-20 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

lucio, i haven't come up with this insight on my own, so i'll carry on the light

* Re: [9fans] Touchpad
@ 2018-09-20  0:32 sl
From: sl @ 2018-09-20  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How can I disable the touchpad so only the mouse moves?

bios

sl