* Re: [9fans] DHCP
@ 2002-06-19 13:53 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-19 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was about to get rid of all static addresses at the labs.  We currently
are sure to come up after a power failure because we have multiple
stand alone systems, one of which usually works after power returns.
We currently run dhcp without dynamic addresses on one stand alone
server and with dynamic address on two of the systems running off of
shared file server.

If I get rid of statics, I need some way to sync the stand alone
server with the others.  I don't like any of my proposed solutions
so for now, I'm just going to have any non stand alone systems
bind /lib/ndb/dhcp from the standalone and use that as the state.
I need to rig something to rebind and restart those servers if
the stand alone reboots, but that's no bid deal compared to
maintaining synchronized state.

* Re: [9fans] DHCP
@ 2002-06-19 12:45 ` plan9
From: plan9 @ 2002-06-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Sam Hopkins @ 2002-06-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Disclaimer: I admit I haven't been following this thread fully.

I'm just curious, but is this a solution to an experienced problem
or just an exercise in "let's implement this rfc because no one
else has?"  I'm a small shop, but we certainly haven't had problems
losing our dhcp server ... unless the cpu server loses power, in
which case we're pretty much sunk anyway.

Surely if it's the latter, your time would be better appreciated
on solving one of the frequent questions posted to the list
(video card, web browsers, et al).

I'm a big proponent against overly complicating things based on
a *perceived* notion of necessity.

Cheers,

Sam

@ 2002-06-16 22:29 ynl
From: ynl @ 2002-06-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just curious. Why now? Is it related to tying dhcp leases to
dns entries?

- ynl

* [9fans] DHCP
@ 2002-06-16 22:19 presotto