* Re: [9fans] Error on fresh install.
@ 2001-04-17 20:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-17 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try temporarily disconnecting the cd-roms
and see if you get farther.  if you do, you'll
want to change the line

	for(disk in /dev/sd??) {

in /rc/bin/termrc to say

	for(disk in /dev/sdC?) {

to avoid looking at the cd-rom controller.
then we can try to debug that.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Error on fresh install.
@ 2001-04-17 21:25 ` Alexis Paul Musgrave
From: Alexis Paul Musgrave @ 2001-04-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> writes:

> try temporarily disconnecting the cd-roms
> and see if you get farther.  if you do, you'll
> want to change the line
>
> 	for(disk in /dev/sd??) {
>
> in /rc/bin/termrc to say
>
> 	for(disk in /dev/sdC?) {
>
> to avoid looking at the cd-rom controller.
> then we can try to debug that.
>
> russ

I disonnected the cdroms, I don't get that same error, however, i
get ( I may have broken this beforehand):

bin/rc
        tag = Tdir, Tfile expected

or something of that genre.
Is there a way around this new error ? or am i going to have to
reinstall/rescue ?

,_Muz_

--
|- Alexis Paul (Muz) Musgrave - <0muz0@netgames-uk.com> <muz@cwcom.net> ----|
|- Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 on a 233MMX, 64MB RAM 13GB HD --------------|

* Re: [9fans] Error on fresh install.
@ 2001-04-18 17:06   ` Alexis Paul Musgrave
From: Alexis Paul Musgrave @ 2001-04-18 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I can log in sucessfully as "none" (albeit with errors about /usr/none
not existing), from there i cannot start rio from /bin/rio.

So i'm starting to believe its some video problem, fyi, I have a
Matrox Millenium II, which is fairly well supported in general.

As a side note, i did _not_ have this problem booting the installation
disk.

The woe continues......

,_Muz_

--

@ 2001-04-18 14:42 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sometimes it will sit there after /bin/rc has popped up, sometimes the
> screen will flicker for a second (as if its changing video mode) and
> sometimes it'll actually go into rio. What could cause this apparantly
> random and bizzare behaviour ? Is it some video hardware problem ?

If you can reliably log in as none (which starts neither
aux/vga nor rio) then maybe it's the video hardware.
It seems more likely to be some other hardware flakiness.
Perhaps your IDE cable came partway out when you unplugged
the CDROMs.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Error on fresh install.
@ 2001-04-18 14:22 ` Alexis Paul Musgrave
From: Alexis Paul Musgrave @ 2001-04-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I no longer get the wretched error about the disk whatnot, (changed
sd?? to sdC?), however the thing still doesn't boot very often, and i
am curious as to what the cause is.

@ 2001-04-18  0:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that means the file system is a bit hosed.
without the exact message it's tough to
tell whether you're actually able to start
/bin/rc or not.  before you were starting
rc and fdisk, which is a good sign.

i assume you're not getting a shell prompt ('% ')?

russ

* Re: [9fans] Error on fresh install.
@ 2001-04-17 20:30 ` Alexis Paul Musgrave
From: Alexis Paul Musgrave @ 2001-04-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> writes:

> Fdisk is trying to read a partition table from something
> it thinks is a fixed disk.  Do you have anything else
> plugged into your IDE controller besides hard disks
> (like maybe an IDE floppy drive or a tape drive)?
>
> Russ

Plan 9 is booting off a floppy at the moment, however, I get the same
error if i chainload from grub, it may still be trying to read a
partition table off something else still even then... not sure....

As for my setup, I have Plan 9 on the master on ide0 another ide drive
on slave on ide0, and on ide1 i have two cdroms.

The floppy drive is on its own floppy controller on the motherboard,
although i do think the floppy drive/controller might be a bit buggy
as it locks up my mahine occaisionally when i write to it.

,_Muz_

--

@ 2001-04-17 20:20 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-17 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-17 20:02 Alexis Paul Musgrave
From: Alexis Paul Musgrave @ 2001-04-17 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After installing, rebooting. I get to the user[none]: prompt, and type
"glenda" with no password as instructed.
After which i get: (something like this)

bin/rc
disk/fdisk diskread 68 at 0.446 i/o error

and the thing just sits there, is this something with my floppy ? or
my harddrive ?

I get this thing to boot occaisionally, but i don't know what i do
different..... should i just leave the thing for a few minutes and see
what it does ? I'm confused.....

8-]

,_Muz_

p.s. Sorry if this turns out to be duplicate post, my normal news
service died earlier today, so I'm using another one, it may turn out
that my original post may propogate, I'm not sure... Maybe it was my
usenet client... maybe this newsgroup is moderated, or something
ludicrous. this is about my 5th repost damnit. Well, i eventually
realised that the newsgroup was a gateway to a list, and subscribed to
the list.....