* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:18 andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-01-25 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't like the little "keyboard eraser" pointing device anymore.

in the more unfashionable northern corners of canada they call it
'the nipple'..  probably trying to pass it as an intuitive interface.

which it isn't..

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:46 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2002-01-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> in the more unfashionable northern corners of canada they call it
> 'the nipple'..  probably trying to pass it as an intuitive interface.

yes but I didn't want to use that term in polite company.

Those darn Canadians.

ron

* [9fans] Re: ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 22:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-01-25 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> > I don't like the little "keyboard eraser" pointing device anymore.
>
> in the more unfashionable northern corners of canada they call it
> 'the nipple'..  probably trying to pass it as an intuitive interface.
>
> which it isn't..

Yes it is, in fact it's the optimal pointing device available today.

AccuPoint's are the cats meow.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 23:26 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-01-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski writes:
 > in the more unfashionable northern corners of canada they call it
 > 'the nipple'..  probably trying to pass it as an intuitive interface.
 >
 > which it isn't..

Here they call it the clitoris... don't know if that is intuitive or not... :-)
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-28 11:13   ` Thomas Bushnell, BSG
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG @ 2002-01-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es writes:

> andrey mirtchovski writes:
>  > in the more unfashionable northern corners of canada they call it
>  > 'the nipple'..  probably trying to pass it as an intuitive interface.
>  >
>  > which it isn't..
>
> Here they call it the clitoris... don't know if that is intuitive or
> not... :-)

Sure explains why I prefer touchpads.

* Re: [9fans] Re: ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-28 11:13   ` ozan s yigit
From: ozan s yigit @ 2002-01-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ravage@einstein.ssz.com (Jim Choate) writes about the little keyboard
pointing thing:

> Yes it is, in fact it's the optimal pointing device available today.

too primitive for much else except pointing and grunting so one has to have
a mouse anyway. [ask any graphics artist, or a long time illustrator user
like me]

oz
---
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz	 | if you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe
york u. computer science | we'll just have to make some!   -- hobbes

* Re: [9fans] Re: ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-28 12:46     ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-01-28 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> too primitive for much else except pointing and grunting so one has to have
> a mouse anyway. [ask any graphics artist, or a long time illustrator user
> like me]

drawing, mouse, ugh!

* [9fans] Question about VAIO laptop and mouse support [was ideal Plan9 Laptop]
@ 2002-01-28 18:38     ` Gene Garbutt
From: Gene Garbutt @ 2002-01-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When asked, "What is the ideal Plan9 laptop?", I have seen responses
praising the Sony VAIO. My question is what do you use for an external
mouse? I can pick up a 505TR but the external mouse port is USB. Does plan9
support USB or do people use a PS/2 mouse with and external adaptor?

Thanks in advance,
Gene

> Yes it is, in fact it's the optimal pointing device available today.

too primitive for much else except pointing and grunting so one has to have
a mouse anyway. [ask any graphics artist, or a long time illustrator user
like me]

oz
---
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz      | if you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe
york u. computer science | we'll just have to make some!   -- hobbes

* Re: [9fans] Question about VAIO laptop and mouse support [was ideal Plan9 Laptop]
@ 2002-01-29 10:58       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-29 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Gene Garbutt wrote:
> When asked, "What is the ideal Plan9 laptop?", I have seen responses
> praising the Sony VAIO. My question is what do you use for an external
> mouse?

I use either the trackpad [desperation] or a cordfull logitec serial/ps2
mouse [the old clunky 3 button (pilot?) mouse].

Plan 9's USB support is pretty minimal (iirc) and USB is 'orrible.

I know have the beginnings of a CPU/auth server on a PCG-Z600LEK,
which used to run (and still does) Windows 2000, but I had to re-write
the MBR and all that to get it to go as well as all sorts of trickery
because a: instead of $adisk was by [the installation] /rc/bin/cpurc.

It took me a while, but the hack was:

    c:
    cp /rc/bin/cpurc /tmp/cpurc
    ed /tmp/cpurc
    1,$s/a:/c:/g
    rc -x /tmp/cpurc

[It was late and all this is from memory]

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:31   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts wrote:
>     - small, fast, light, thin, 5620 style key action, touch pad

Serial mouse support too.  I have the base level logitech 3 button.

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As far as graphics goes, you probably want to find
a laptop based on the Savage or SuperSavage line of
chips.  You'll need some patches to aux/vga, but that's
the most recent common chip that we handle well.

The IBM Thinkpad T21 and T23 are known to work, as
is the Toshiba Portege 3440CT, but they all have keyboard
erasers.

As much as I dislike the keyboard eraser (I always use
an external mouse if I have the room), at least on the
later Thinkpads you do get three buttons, which makes acme
much more pleasant when there's no room for an external
mouse.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:22 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Any recommendations?

I think Sony VAIOs are great:

    - small, fast, light, thin, 5620 style key action, touch pad

However, make sure that it has a supported Ethernet interface
and a supported graphics 'card'.  This can be tricky.

I have two.  Russ and I worked out how to do a USB floppy install,
but one doesn't have a supported Ethernet card and the other doesn't
have a (fully) supported graphics card.

The default disk partition seems to be half for c: and the other
half is unused -- ideal for Plan 9 [no messy partition/reinstallation
games].

* [9fans] ideal plan9 laptop
@ 2002-01-25 15:11 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2002-01-25 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

my old 570 is finally dying, and I want to get an Ideal Plan9 Laptop.

I don't like the little "keyboard eraser" pointing device anymore. Andrey
recommends the glidepad. I'd also like something with very generic
hardware, no high-end graphics that I can't get docs for.

Any recommendations?

ron