* Re: [9fans] Monitor flickering
@ 2001-09-20 14:41 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is it really flicker (the whole screen just blinks
really fast) or is it horizontal streaks, possibly
white and extending to the right?

If the latter, it means we're getting the memory
timing calculations wrong, and the video ram refresh
is interfering with the video signal refresh.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Monitor flickering
@ 2001-09-21  6:17 ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2001-09-21  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> writes:

> Is it really flicker (the whole screen just blinks
> really fast) or is it horizontal streaks, possibly
> white and extending to the right?

Exactly the second one. Small horizontal streaks. This
problem increase with higher clock rates. On 70Hz there
are only two small areas but on more than 90Hz the right
side of the screen wobbles. The top-left corner is always
perfect.

> If the latter, it means we're getting the memory
> timing calculations wrong, and the video ram refresh
> is interfering with the video signal refresh.

Hmm, yesterday I have tested the box with another monitor
and there are the same problems so the card or the driver
arouse my suspicion. Shouldt I buy another card or is it
possible to change this in the code?

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Monitor flickering
@ 2001-09-21 16:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hmm, yesterday I have tested the box with another monitor
> and there are the same problems so the card or the driver
> arouse my suspicion. Shouldt I buy another card or is it
> possible to change this in the code?

We can fix the code, probably.  I'll mail you separately.

Russ

* [9fans] Monitor flickering
@ 2001-09-20  7:37 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2001-09-20  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

yesterday I get a new (old) box that I want to use with
Plan 9. I've installed the distribution via net and all
works great.

The only Problem is that the borders of the windows
flicker.

I use an ATI Rage IIc (8MB/AGB,MACH64GZPCIM) and an Sony
Multiscan G400 (1280x1024@101Hz). Plan9.ini is configured
at multisync135 with an resolution of 1024x768x8. If I
check the frequenz on the monitor it gives me 60Hz or
70Hz depend on the resolution I tested. The flicker
increase with the resolution.

Is this a monitor configuration- or an grafikcard problem?
Xvidtune shows me the following results for an resolution
of 1024x768:

HSyncStart     : 1040
VSyncStart     :  768
HSyncEnd       : 1216
VSyncEnd       :  779
HTotal         : 1328
VTotal         :  802
PixelClock     : 101.06 MHz
horizontal Sync:  76.10 kHz
Vertical Sync  :  94.89 Hz

I've limit the vertical sync to 95Hz (@1024x768) on my X
Terminal because 120Hz is to fast for my old eyes.

Vielen Dank
Matthias