* [9fans] lenovo or other laptop  support
@ 2011-04-29 12:44 EBo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: EBo @ 2011-04-29 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9Fans-list

 I remember hearing that some of the lenovo's thinkpads have good plan 9
 support.  Does anyone have a list of laptop models that are known to
 work with at least the basics (video, net, and maybe even sound)?

   Thanks,

   EBo --

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-04-29 14:31 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-04-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

we've had good luck recently with x300 and x61

ron

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-04-29 14:43   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-04-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:31 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> we've had good luck recently with x300 and x61
>
> ron

x201 tablet also works.

John

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-04-29 16:35     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-04-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

everything but the wifi works on T61p and X200.

-Skip

@ 2011-04-29 23:46 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2011-04-29 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The T410 mostly works: ethernet, (vesa) video, lower-speed usb.
It has two EHCI controllers and that seems to interfere with
high-speed usb so far.

Haven't tried wifi but I wouldn't expect it to work.

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop  support
@ 2011-04-30  2:58   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2011-04-30  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've got a T23 that use to work great.  The battery's definitely been a problem lately, but that's what wall warts are for!

@ 2011-04-30  4:07     ` smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-04-30  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> writes:

> I've got a T23 that use to work great.  The battery's definitely been
> a problem lately, but that's what wall warts are for!

I have a T23, and Plan 9 works OK on it, except that I need to boot with
sdC0dma=1 and can't seem to figure out how to get audio working.  The
machine tells me it has an AC97 audio device.  Although the kernel
recognizes the PCMCIA, I haven't tried using it yet.  The screen also
goes wierd when the lid is shut.  Running aux/vga restores the screen to
a correct state, but it's a minor inconvenience.  Maybe someday I'll
debug that glitch.

Has anybody come across a ThinkPad that ISN'T well-supported by Plan 9?
IBM TPs are notorious for being Linux-friendly; it makes sense that
they'd tend to be 9-friendly, too.

|E-Mail: smiley@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-04 11:40       ` antonio.fin
From: antonio.fin @ 2011-05-04 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Apr 30, 6:08 am, smi...@zenzebra.mv.com wrote:

> Has anybody come across a ThinkPad that ISN'T well-supported by Plan 9?
> IBM TPs are notorious for being Linux-friendly; it makes sense that
> they'd tend to be 9-friendly, too.

I have a Thinkpad X31: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X31.
 It has not cdrom or dvd drive, which make the installation much more
difficult. One solution was to buy a X3 UltraBase and then I was able
to start the installation as normal (an external usb dvd drive didn' t
work ).
The live mode give me a problem with the graphic card and rio didn't
start, but in the installation option rio worked without problems and
I completed the installation. When I rebooted  I got the same error
with the graphic card as I got in the live mode. I think  editing the
9fat.ini should resolve the problem, but I have to learn how to edit
files in Plan9 without rio. The graphic card is not supported (I think
so: http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html
) but it should work with vesa or the mode used in the installation
mode.

Antonio

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-04 13:01         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-05-04 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I completed the installation. When I rebooted  I got the same error
> with the graphic card as I got in the live mode. I think  editing the
> 9fat.ini should resolve the problem, but I have to learn how to edit
> files in Plan9 without rio. The graphic card is not supported (I think
> so: http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html
> ) but it should work with vesa or the mode used in the installation
> mode.

this comment has come up a couple of times recently.
"how do i edit a file without rio".  it's quite amazing to
me that this appears to be an open question in many
people's mind these days.  ed(1) has been the answer
for a long time—maybe 35 years.  but that seems to have
been forgotten.  (you can use sam -d, but that's a little
wierd for most tasks.  very powerful, though.)

and i think that's a big loss.  there are plenty of cases
where it's just too anoying to use rio, such as on a
serial console*.  since i administer 10s of cpu servers
at 4 sites, i use ed within acme (!) to edit things in 9fat.
it's often much easier than putting those things in acme's
namespace.

at coraid, we're considering asking new hires use ed for
a week exclusively.

- erik

* historical irony notwithstanding.

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-04 19:30           ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2011-05-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro; +Cc: 9fans

In article <271f1d4632de477f20e2dfe627cfd3f4@brasstown.quanstro.net> you write:
>at coraid, we're considering asking new hires use ed for
>a week exclusively.

As the only real Unix/Linux expert at my previous company, I used to tell
people that the way to really learn to become comfortable as a command line
user was to disconnect the mouse for a month.

Not that anyone actually bothered to do it, but I think they understood
my point.

Erik, if you do ask your new hires to use ed, make it 2 weeks or a month.
That will cement regular expressions into their heads really well.
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins 			arnold AT skeeve DOT com
P.O. Box 354		Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-04 19:57             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-05-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed May  4 15:32:42 EDT 2011, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> In article <271f1d4632de477f20e2dfe627cfd3f4@brasstown.quanstro.net> you write:
> >at coraid, we're considering asking new hires use ed for
> >a week exclusively.
>
> As the only real Unix/Linux expert at my previous company, I used to tell
> people that the way to really learn to become comfortable as a command line
> user was to disconnect the mouse for a month.
>
> Not that anyone actually bothered to do it, but I think they understood
> my point.
>
> Erik, if you do ask your new hires to use ed, make it 2 weeks or a month.
> That will cement regular expressions into their heads really well.

we'll see how much they know, that's for sure!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-05  0:35               ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2011-05-05  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> >at coraid, we're considering asking new hires use ed for
>> >a week exclusively.

sam -d allowed? :)

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop support
@ 2011-05-05  9:55         ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2011-05-05  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

quanstro@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) writes:

> at coraid, we're considering asking new hires use ed for
> a week exclusively.

Does it count if I already did that? :)
http://chneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2010/09/the-week-of-ed.html

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: [9fans] lenovo or other laptop  support
@ 2011-06-17 13:54 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2011-06-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've just tried booting Plan 9 on a borrowed SL510 (very low-end and
low-cost but still thinkpad-branded Lenovo).  Seems to run OK;
ethernet works; disk works if bios ahci config is set to "compatible".
Vesa vga didn't seem to offer anything better than 1024x768.