* [9fans] plumbing and cpu server
@ 2004-12-01  7:43 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-12-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Moin,

I change my plumbing rules for postscript files from "plumb start page
-w $file" to "plumb start cpu -h cx -c page -w $file". If I plumb a
postscript file after that the terminal logs "/dev/label rc can't open
mounted directory forbids creation".

I can run "cpu -c page /sys/doc/9.ps" without problems. What is the
correct rule for the plumber?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] plumbing and cpu server
@ 2004-12-01 10:03 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-12-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

I believe what is happening is plumber is started before rio
in your profile (mine is) so when the plumber starts cpu its
namespace doesn't include /dev/label (the rio window's label).

you could add somthing into your profile for service == cpu like
	bind /dev/null /dev/label
just to shut page up,  though I havent tried this.

Are you sure you want to run page on a cpu server? Gs is fairly
cpu intensive but I would have expected the slower access to
/dev/draw across the network to have outweighed any advantage;
maybe your terminal has very limited cpu/memory resources?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plumbing and cpu server
@ 2004-12-01 10:08   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-12-01 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon; +Cc: 9fans

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:03:06 0000, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> Are you sure you want to run page on a cpu server? Gs is fairly
> cpu intensive but I would have expected the slower access to
> /dev/draw across the network to have outweighed any advantage;
> maybe your terminal has very limited cpu/memory resources?

I understand. I try it only for playing with the plumber rules. I
think my terminal has enough power for page.

Many thanks
Matthias