* [9fans] usb serial driver
@ 2014-03-16  5:40 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2014-03-16  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Anyone has a driver for FT232R or PL2303HX?
Or working on those drivers?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] usb serial driver
@ 2014-03-16  8:14 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2014-03-16  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Isn't it a variant of the version (almost) supported? There were sone issues at fast speed, but I believe it is there in the distro.

G.

> On Mar 16, 2014, at 6:40 AM, arisawa <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Anyone has a driver for FT232R or PL2303HX?
> Or working on those drivers?
>
> Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] usb serial driver
@ 2014-03-17 14:35   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2014-03-17 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you Gorka,

I made a mistake.
The usage of 9front is different from that of Bell-labs.
It seems FT232R is OK, but PL2303HX has a problem.

term% cat /lib/ndb/consoledb
group=sys
	uid=glenda
	uid=arisawa
console=usb3 dev=/dev/eiaU3 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb4 dev=/dev/eiaU4 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb5 dev=/dev/eiaU5 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb6 dev=/dev/eiaU6 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb7 dev=/dev/eiaU7 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb8 dev=/dev/eiaU8 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb9 dev=/dev/eiaU9 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
console=usb10 dev=/dev/eiaU10 openondemand=1
	gid=sys
term% cat /dev/usbevent
attach 10 067b 2303 000000ff
term% aux/consolefs
term% ls -l /mnt/con*
--rw-rw-rw- M 190 network network 0 Mar 17 22:09 /mnt/consoles/usb10
term% ls /dev/eia*		# not listed eiaU10. thus we cannot set the protocols
/dev/eia0
/dev/eia0ctl
/dev/eia0status
/dev/eia1
/dev/eia1ctl
/dev/eia1status
term%

PL2303HX on Bell-labs version has a similar problem.

Thank you again.

Kenji Arisawa

2014/03/16 17:14、Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> のメール:

> Isn't it a variant of the version (almost) supported? There were sone issues at fast speed, but I believe it is there in the distro.
>

> G.
>
>> On Mar 16, 2014, at 6:40 AM, arisawa <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anyone has a driver for FT232R or PL2303HX?
>> Or working on those drivers?
>>
>> Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] usb serial driver
@ 2014-03-17 14:55     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2014-03-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM, arisawa <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Thank you Gorka,
>
> I made a mistake.
> The usage of 9front is different from that of Bell-labs.
> It seems FT232R is OK, but PL2303HX has a problem.
>
> term% cat /lib/ndb/consoledb
> group=sys

Yes, I see. FTDI is better supported, because I had several variants
plus the device included in the Sheevaplug.

The prolific one (PL2303XXX) I had an old and slow version, so:
- New devices will probably miss stuff there was some configuration
with the H and X version.
- If the device is very fast it will probably miss bytes (there should
be buffering in the
driver like the FTDI version of it does).

Erik has seen some of these problems, maybe he has fixed them?

Fixing the driver to support the HX version sould be easy. Take a look at the
BSD driver which at the time I wrote it was the only documentation,
(this may have changed):

http://lxr.linux.no/linux/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c

Fixing the device missing bytes should be simple, just follow what the
FTDI version does
(use a channel with buffering).

G.

* Re: [9fans] usb serial driver
@ 2014-03-17 15:27       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-17 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Erik has seen some of these problems, maybe he has fixed them?

he!  usb serial is my nemisis.  you're welcome to try the 9atom usb/serial.
it should have some corrected little bits so at least the endpoint debugging
stuff isn't truncated.

- erik