* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 15:25 ` Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2006-12-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio De Re, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 05:35:58PM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> Does the wiki have instructions on how to make UBUNTU (Dapper Drake)
> speak v9fs?  It seems to me that I need a recompiled kernel and I'm
> not familiar enough with the procedure to upgrade the system at that
> level.

You don't need to do anything, just

; modprobe 9p2000

or

; modprobe 9p

should work fine...

Regards,
--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 15:32   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-12-12 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/12/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 05:35:58PM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> > Does the wiki have instructions on how to make UBUNTU (Dapper Drake)
> > speak v9fs?  It seems to me that I need a recompiled kernel and I'm
> > not familiar enough with the procedure to upgrade the system at that
> > level.
>
> You don't need to do anything, just
>
> ; modprobe 9p2000
>
> or
>
> ; modprobe 9p

Default Dapper has an older, "buggier" version of v9fs (2.6.15).  Edgy
has a much more reasonable version (2.6.17).

            -eric

* [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 15:35 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2006-12-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does the wiki have instructions on how to make UBUNTU (Dapper Drake)
speak v9fs?  It seems to me that I need a recompiled kernel and I'm
not familiar enough with the procedure to upgrade the system at that
level.

++L

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 17:03     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-12-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Default Dapper has an older, "buggier" version of v9fs (2.6.15).  Edgy
> has a much more reasonable version (2.6.17).

Edgy+v9fs has been reliable.  i have had a r/b client (uses v9fs) running
continuously for a couple of weeks now.

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 17:12   ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-12-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Lucio De Re

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 05:35:58PM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
>> Does the wiki have instructions on how to make UBUNTU (Dapper Drake)
>> speak v9fs?  It seems to me that I need a recompiled kernel and I'm
>> not familiar enough with the procedure to upgrade the system at that
>> level.
>
> You don't need to do anything, just
>
> ; modprobe 9p2000
>
> or
>
> ; modprobe 9p
>
> should work fine...

Wow, does Ubuntu come with a 9p kernel module by default? That's sweet...
/c

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 18:45     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-12-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Lucio De Re

On 12/12/06, csant <csant@csant.info> wrote:

> Wow, does Ubuntu come with a 9p kernel module by default? That's sweet...
> /c

all part of the virtue of being in the mainline kernel.  We probably
should be more diligent about backporting fixes to popular kernel
releases (such as dapper), but I doubt we have enough users yet to
justify distribution maintainers to pull them.  Similar goes for
getting 9p servers in by default.

          -eric

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 18:58       ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-12-12 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Lucio De Re

>> Wow, does Ubuntu come with a 9p kernel module by default? That's
>> sweet...
>
> all part of the virtue of being in the mainline kernel.  We probably
> should be more diligent about backporting fixes to popular kernel
> releases (such as dapper), but I doubt we have enough users yet to
> justify distribution maintainers to pull them.  Similar goes for
> getting 9p servers in by default.

The latter point is worth being addressed: currently it is all but
straightforward to set up a proper 9p filesystem (with authentication),
mainly due to the lack of a server. As long as there is no server readily
available 9p will have trouble gaining any ground on Linux beyond Plan 9
users running also Linux. I therefore very much look forward to your
planned efforts for next year to work on a server.

/c

* Re: [9fans] UBUNTU and v9fs
@ 2006-12-12 19:11         ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2006-12-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There are many 9P servers coming with p9p. You can also write your
own servers either using p9p or lib{s,n}pfs.

	Lucho