* [9fans] xterm or so - ?
@ 2000-06-19  8:41 Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2000-06-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Greetings,

	Please advise me on interoperability with existing unixes.
At my work I often use telnet/ssh/ssh2 to log on different hosts
from my desktop (now Linux or FreeBSD, sometimes with XFree86) and
change config files with 'vi' there. Having tried plan9's 'telnet', I found
that our hosts can support 'p9win' terminal only in dumb mode. It seems
that reasonable 'termcap' entry for this terminal could not be
expressed easily, so I think I need a terminal emulator like 'xterm'
under plan9, or perhaps an ability to run x-client 'xterm' remotely and use
local plan9 as x-server to have its window here.

	And besides, how do I set both-way mapping between koi8-r (cyrillic
	8-bit character encoding we use under unix) and unicode used on
	plan9? And in relation, how do I switch keyboard layouts between
	'latin' and 'cyrillic'? I would like to be able to do that
	instantly by hotkey, as I can set up on Linux or FreeBSD -
	is there any way ?

	Thanks those who know for any their suggestions :>

--
mwg@alkar.net

* Re: [9fans] xterm or so - ?
@ 2000-06-19 14:30 tad
From: tad @ 2000-06-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mwg, 9fans

> I found that our hosts can support 'p9win' terminal only in dumb mode.

Run vt(1) in the window before you telnet.

-Tad

* Re: [9fans] xterm or so - ?
@ 2000-06-19 13:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	'latin' and 'cyrillic'? I would like to be able to do that
	instantly by hotkey, as I can set up on Linux or FreeBSD -
	is there any way ?

Since the keyboard generates UTF, you'll
need to introduce some sort of translation
routine, either by hacking the kernel or by
introducing a user-level file server.

	At my work I often use telnet/ssh/ssh2 to log on different hosts
	from my desktop (now Linux or FreeBSD, sometimes with XFree86) and
	change config files with 'vi' there. Having tried plan9's 'telnet', I found
	that our hosts can support 'p9win' terminal only in dumb mode. It seems
	that reasonable 'termcap' entry for this terminal could not be
	expressed easily, so I think I need a terminal emulator like 'xterm'
	under plan9, or perhaps an ability to run x-client 'xterm' remotely and use
	local plan9 as x-server to have its window here.

Have a look at using vt before running telnet,
or even better, run u9fs or u9fs over ssh.

Russ

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2414 bytes --]