* Re: [9fans] One last check of steps for bootstrapping fs
@ 2002-12-06  8:45 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-12-06  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That sounds mostly right.  Don't worry about authdisable.  If you need
to use it (and I've never used it yet), it's now a file server console
command, so you can turn auth on and off at will.  I think in step 3,
you want to copy /adm over and then type "users" on the file server
console.  You may need to type "allow" on either file server
beforehand and "disallow" after; just try the plain copy first and
see.

I'm not sure that step 5 is needed, but just to clarify, "ream" and
"recover" (and a few other config commands, like "copyworm") are
one-time commands, not configuration state.  They are not remembered.
So you don't need to change your configuration just to avoid a second
reaming.

* Re: [9fans] One last check of steps for bootstrapping fs
@ 2002-12-06 17:32 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-12-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Excellent information.  I certainly was confused about
> the distinction between one-time commands and config states.

Speaking of this....  Someone over in Japan changed the fileserver
kernel to have a ``noneattach'' command similar to that in KFS a
few months ago.  Any chance we can get a similar thing put into the
mainline fileserver kernel?  That'd be swell.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] One last check of steps for bootstrapping fs
@ 2002-12-06  6:37 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-12-06  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excellent information.  I certainly was confused about
the distinction between one-time commands and config states.
Thanks.

@ 2002-12-06  5:50 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-12-06  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are these the right steps?

1.  build floppy with 9pcfs kernel/plan9.ini - Done -- Because I'm not upgrading from
3rd ed, I didn't uncomment the authdisable flag. <<<< IS THIS CORRECT?

2. boot fs
	- configure fs, including reaming main and other.
	- do "passwd" for bootes
	- do "users default"

3. mount new fs from cpu/auth+kfs. copy /dist contents over.

4. check /rc/bin/cpurc /rc/bin/termrc and /lib/ndb/local for consistency
now that we have an fs (I'm not sure what I need to be looking for here
but maybe it is obvious when I get to it --- obviously turning kfs off is one).

5. restart fs
	- do the config exactly as before but without reaming <<<< IS THIS CORRECT?
	- newuser fst, etc. etc.