* [9fans] missing includes for xen3
@ 2006-12-05 18:36 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2006-12-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

xen-public in 9/xen3 is empty. building is hard :-)

I'm going shopping.

Richard, you out there :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] missing includes for xen3
@ 2006-12-05 20:03 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-12-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Richard, you out there :-)

Sorry, I've been in Madrid.  We missed you there.

IWP9 was great - many thanks to Nemo, Gorka, Enrique and doubtless
many others for hosting it.

> xen-public in 9/xen3 is empty. building is hard :-)

>From /n/sources/xen/xen3/README (and repeated in the wiki):

"... to build a new kernel, copy or
bind into /sys/src/9/xen3, copy or bind the xen/include/public
directory from the Xen source distribution into /sys/src/9/xen3/xen-public,
and mk"

If you have only a binary xen distribution, there's a copy of xen/include/public
in /usr/include/xen.

By the way, I only just noticed that my Xen 3.0.3 updates had been lost when
the sources fossil was reinitialised from the 2 November dump.  I've re-done
the updates now.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] missing includes for xen3
@ 2006-12-05 20:38   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2006-12-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/5/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> "... to build a new kernel, copy or
> bind into /sys/src/9/xen3, copy or bind the xen/include/public
> directory from the Xen source distribution into /sys/src/9/xen3/xen-public,
> and mk"

Sorry, I don't know how I missed that! I am actually somewhat amazed
that anything in xen will directly compile -- this is a positive
change.

> By the way, I only just noticed that my Xen 3.0.3 updates had been lost when
> the sources fossil was reinitialised from the 2 November dump.  I've re-done
> the updates now.

OK, I will get them.

Have you experimented with direct device access from domU? We are
looking at that now. Most of what they tell you in the manuals doesn't
seem to actually work.

@ 2006-12-05 22:19     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-12-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Have you experimented with direct device access from domU?

No - for me the whole point of xen is that physical devices
become Somebody Else's Problem.