* [9fans] Replicated, caching and offline capable network fs
@ 2007-07-13 13:00 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-07-13 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an replicated and offline capable network filesystem
which can work behind hi latency links. The only usable one I could
find is Coda, but it doesn't exactly suit my needs, some of the
drawbacks are:

* completely own security scheme (AFS style, not Unix)
* own storage, cannot export existing filesystems
* can only transfer complete files
* doesnt work well behind hi latency links (>80ms).
* not very stable

So I'm thinking about designing a new one, based on 9p :)

The idea is:

* Client side (mounting) is done via normal 9p
* Extended 9p protocol between the primary server and local cache
* Local cache stores its stuff within a local filesystem or
  an database
* Files can be watched for update notification
* Batched transfers in background to prevent unnecessary blocking

Does anyone like to join me ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Replicated, caching and offline capable network fs
@ 2007-07-13 13:44 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

could you lay out a specific scenario where one would use
your proposed filesystem?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Replicated, caching and offline capable network fs
@ 2007-07-13 16:42 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-07-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm looking for an replicated and offline capable network filesystem
> which can work behind hi latency links.

presotto responded to a question about this a while back.  might want
to read about cfs, kfs and aan.  i'm not sure what you mean by
"extended 9p"; we like 9p the way it is :)

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/3a45160f9d693b7e/0657944cc8b7c1d5?lnk=gst&q=stash+fs&rnum=4#0657944cc8b7c1d5

* Re: [9fans] Replicated, caching and offline capable network fs
@ 2007-07-13 17:34   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-07-13 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I´m not sure if the version I copied to sources had it. But ofs/oxport
(for inferno)
can be used to dial a remote inferno across very bad latency links.
It knows how to maintain a local persistent cache in a local file system. Cached
files maintain the directory structure.

However, it does nothing regarding replication/disconnected operation.
I´ll copy tomorrow a fresh copy of sources to /n/sources/contrib/nemo/octopus

hth