* [9fans] nventi becomes venti
@ 2007-09-05 19:06 geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-09-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm about to change the distribution on sources to use
nventi instead of venti.  nventi's venti server now
takes all the options that venti's did (-w was the only
missing one), so the operational change should ideally be
transparent, but be aware that it's happening.

Programs that haven't been converted to the new venti library
should include <oventi.h>; these include fossil, vac and vacfs.

* Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti
@ 2007-09-05 19:12 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-09-05 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

how stable is the new venti on plan9? how tested?

we tried it here about a year ago on a 1.7TB single raided partition
and for two weeks it wasn't able to stay up for more than 24 hours...

@ 2007-09-05 19:24   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-09-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We've been running nventi all summer on what is now our main
fileserver, yoshimi, and our outside file server.  Russ fixed the
bug(s) that you encountered; we hit them too initially.  (He also
fixed a deadlock in fossil that could happen under moderate load, such
as rm -r of a large tree in /n/other.) Nventi works (as does fossil).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4092 bytes --]

From: "andrey mirtchovski" <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:12:43 -0600

@ 2007-09-05 19:33     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-09-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> We've been running nventi all summer on what is now our main
> fileserver, yoshimi, and our outside file server.  Russ fixed the
> bug(s) that you encountered; we hit them too initially.  (He also
> fixed a deadlock in fossil that could happen under moderate load, such
> as rm -r of a large tree in /n/other.) Nventi works (as does fossil).

good to hear! we'll be testing it here :)

* Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti
@ 2007-09-05 19:43       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-09-05 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs