* [9fans] Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-02  4:54 john
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john @ 2007-08-02  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned this yet, so... people interested in
playing with Plan B, I have put together a short text document describing
how I got to a reasonably-working state under qemu. It was of course
written *after* I finished setting everything up, so it could have some
errors. Anyway, the file can be fetched from:
http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/planb.txt

Your mileage may vary... please don't come to me because you screwed
up your fancy cpu/auth/file server setup trying to install Plan B!
Good luck!

John

* Re: [9fans] Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-02 13:50   ` john
From: john @ 2007-08-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why not add it to the wiki?
>
>       -eric
>

> On 8/1/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned this yet, so... people interested in
>> playing with Plan B, I have put together a short text document describing
>> how I got to a reasonably-working state under qemu. It was of course
>> written *after* I finished setting everything up, so it could have some
>> errors. Anyway, the file can be fetched from:
>> http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/planb.txt
>>
>> Your mileage may vary... please don't come to me because you screwed
>> up your fancy cpu/auth/file server setup trying to install Plan B!
>> Good luck!
>>

>> John

Sure, sounds like a good idea. Where should it go? I was thinking
either under "Related Projects" on the front page or on the Documentation
page.

@ 2007-08-02 18:21 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-08-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot.
I apologize for the inconveniences. We'll try to make it convenient to use
the octopus.

@ 2007-08-02 18:27 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-08-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-08-02 19:38   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-02 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
> I apologize for the inconveniences. We'll try to make it convenient to use
> the octopus.

Where can I keep up to date on the progress of the octopus?

Is there some sort of public mailing list?

http://lsub.org/ls/octopus.html

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-02 21:43     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-08-02 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

/n/sources/contrib/nemo/octopus.tgz

is a tar ball updated manually whenever we make some progress. It includes
man pages. There are some early papers in the url  you mention, and in
the lsub papers
page.
Also, we'll sending mails here (and to the inferno list) as soon as we
have something
to announce.

Right now I have a working omero but it is not stable enough for others to use.
Besides, it does not have Edit (yet).

On 8/2/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I keep up to date on the progress of the octopus?
>
> Is there some sort of public mailing list?
>
> http://lsub.org/ls/octopus.html
>
> Dave

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-06  4:39   ` john
From: john @ 2007-08-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I can vouch for the instructions :) I now have a fairly usable planb
> setup running. There are still some issues regarding the default fonts
> in Omero (nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of googling and help
> from Fransisco or John :) I got mine running by creating the Plan 9
> Vera fonts from the bitstream Vera set installed on my linux box. It's
> a fairly straightforward process. Omero does look a lot better with
> the vera fonts :)
>
> I second the idea of a Wilki for this. Atleast it'll allow people to
> fix any deficiencies in the instructions and help pool the info on how
> to get started with Plan B.
>
> -Faisal.

I have put the info on the wiki, but neglected to mention it here.
It's under "Using the System" in the Documentation section, address
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_Plan_B_on_Qemu/

Glad to hear you got Plan B working!

John

* [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-06  9:05 ` Nyte
From: Nyte @ 2007-08-06  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-08-06 22:33   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-06 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/6/07, Nyte <faisal.is@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I got mine running by creating the Plan 9
> Vera fonts from the bitstream Vera set installed on my linux box. It's
> a fairly straightforward process. Omero does look a lot better with
> the vera fonts :)

oh, so what is this process?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2007-08-06 22:46     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/6/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Nyte <faisal.is@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I got mine running by creating the Plan 9
> > Vera fonts from the bitstream Vera set installed on my linux box. It's
> > a fairly straightforward process. Omero does look a lot better with
> > the vera fonts :)
> >

> oh, so what is this process?

OK, that was easy, here is the process:
google plan 9 vera
find this: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/vera/

Thank Andrey once again.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2008-01-24 13:00     ` Fabrizio Colalucci
From: Fabrizio Colalucci @ 2008-01-24 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have put the info on the wiki, but neglected to mention it here.
> It's under "Using the System" in the Documentation section, address
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_Plan_B_on_Qemu/

I've been trying to install Plan B following those instructions, but
I've installed it on a standalone Plan 9 system, so not on Qemu.
Everything seems to go well until I launch "omero", when I get these warnings:

vname /devs/ui sname nautilus mnt /devs addr tcp!nautilus!11007
omero: mount /devs: '/devs' file does not exist

What should I do?
Thanks in advance for any help you would wish to provide.

Fabrizio

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2008-01-24 14:21       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-01-24 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't run plan b, but this error looks familiar.  you are
missing the file /devs.  plan 9 typically won't allow one to
create stuff in the root of a mountpoint, so you'll need
to do this from the fossil console.  see fossilcons(8).

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan B instructions
@ 2008-01-24 16:18       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-01-24 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

just create /devs

Also, you may want to change the system name in /lib/ndb/vol/volumes