* [9fans]  No USB hotswap, except when booting with USB plugged in
@ 2010-01-09  1:44 Frederik Caulier
From: Frederik Caulier @ 2010-01-09  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans

When booting my JVC netbook with a USB stick plugged in Plan 9 will
recognized the device on boot and it will be usable when the system is
up. Removing the stick and plugging it in again will work fine, so
hotswap works here.

Problem:
When I boot *without* a USB stick plugged in Plan 9 won't
recognize/mount the USB stick while the system is up. Now hotswap
doesn't work.

Is this a bug or a feature? How could this be fixed?

FYI, I'm using a stock 9pcf kernel from Dec, 14 2009.

Best regards,
F. Caulier

* Re: [9fans] No USB hotswap, except when booting with USB plugged in
@ 2010-01-09  4:01 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-01-09  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Problem:
> When I boot *without* a USB stick plugged in Plan 9 won't
> recognize/mount the USB stick while the system is up. Now hotswap
> doesn't work.

What does usbd report if you set usbdebug=1 (or more?, I'm not sure)
in plan9.ini.  I still have a couple of hosts that have trouble with
USB devices, specially disks.  They report a timeout on
re-initialisation as has been reported here in the past.  Mind you, it
would be more helpful if Geoff/Bell Labs released new kernels
explicitly enhanced with the most recent USB stuff so we can all
report on the same version code.  Please, Geoff?

++L

* Re: [9fans] No USB hotswap, except when booting with USB plugged in
@ 2010-01-09  8:21   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2010-01-09  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

Sources has the latest USB source, no USB code is being held back.

* Re: [9fans] No USB hotswap, except when booting with USB plugged in
@ 2010-01-09  8:29     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-01-09  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sources has the latest USB source, no USB code is being held back.

I took that as a given.  It's missing a benchmark kernel that I find
awkward.  I can create a kernel, but it's too difficult to be sure
that it uses the "release" sources, shared by all other potential
testers.  That is why I would welcome fresh kernels form Bell Labs.  I
have a similar problem with non-working VESA on some of my equipment,
I need to know that the problem isn't of my own making.

No offence intended.

++L

* Re: [9fans] No USB hotswap, except when booting with USB plugged in
@ 2010-01-09  9:56       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2010-01-09  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have an unrelated fix from erik that
has not been integrated yet (my fault)
but otherwise, sources USB is what
we have so far.

I couldnt reproduce your problem here
and dont know exactly how to fix it.
It problably has to do with bios hand off or initialization.

could those with problems send me
debug output off list? I'll take a look
again.

also, I remember some problem on
the Bluetooth stack on vmware. any progress on that front?