* Compact FLASH progress (Was: [9fans] disk/^(mbr format fdisk prep))
       [not found] <ee9e417a040508081247498d73@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2004-05-10  7:52 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2004-05-10  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Although it doesn't sound like it's what you want anymore,
> you could use aux/disksim to get an sd(3)-like interface
> to an arbitrary file.

That was precisely where I wanted to go.  It all seems fine now, I
have successfully formatted the device as a Plan 9 IDE disk and booted
both 9load and the kernel from it.  Not a lot that one can do in 16Meg
(well I used to run a full development system under DOS in
considerably less disk space, but we've advanced from there :-) but
proof of concept was all I needed.

Just one caveat: It seems necessary to set the geometry "right" for
aux/disksim.  NetBSD reports a different geometry via USB from that
established by the Plan 9 ata device driver in the thin client.  There
really does not seem to be an easy route, what I did was bootstrap
Plan 9 via a DOS boot to query the geometry through /dev/sdC0/ctl.

++L

PS: Now back to the SiS_550 graphics :-(

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-05-10  7:52 UTC | newest]