* [9fans] Stupid newbie question: Fileserver (fossil vs dedicated)
@ 2008-03-18 18:10 x0r5150
From: x0r5150 @ 2008-03-18 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry for the newbie question.

I start to love plan9 and decide to build a real network instead of a stand
alone do it all workstation.

I'm a little bit confuse about the file server set up.

Am I supposed to use the 9pcfs kernel on a dedicated machine or just export
fossil from a "normal" plan9 install.

If just exporting fossil work, could I do a auth/cpu/fs in one box and pxe
boot terminal and cpu from it or is this just broking the whole idea?

thanks

-nic

--
x0r5150@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] Stupid newbie question: Fileserver (fossil vs dedicated)
@ 2008-03-18 18:37 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-03-18 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Am I supposed to use the 9pcfs kernel on a dedicated machine or just export
> fossil from a "normal" plan9 install.

9pcfs is ken's fileserver.  it is a stand alone deal requiring il.  (and a patch to
the kernel, these days.)  imho, it is still the best fs out there.

> If just exporting fossil work, could I do a auth/cpu/fs in one box and pxe
> boot terminal and cpu from it or is this just broking the whole idea?

yes, you can do that.  it is not quite the original idea, but it does work.
the downside is that something going sideways in cpu/auth can take out
your fs.  and if you reboot the fs, you need to reboot your terminal.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Stupid newbie question: Fileserver (fossil vs dedicated)
@ 2008-03-18 18:42 ` john
From: john @ 2008-03-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If just exporting fossil work, could I do a auth/cpu/fs in one box and pxe
> boot terminal and cpu from it or is this just broking the whole idea?

In my opinion, that is exactly what you should do, at least at first.
Install Plan 9, follow the instructions on the wiki for setting
up a standalone CPU server. You'll be using the 9pccpuf kernel.
PXE booting isn't particularly hard, or you could install Plan 9
to the terminal's hard drive and specify root from the file server.

John