* [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:05 Alexander.Shendi
From: Alexander.Shendi @ 2013-01-16  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

So I succeded in installing 9front on my Dell Mini 9 netbook.
It is mostly working:
* Graphics: Working VESA mode 800x600x32
* Networking: Internal network card works, internal wifi doesn't
  work, but didn't expect it to.
* USB: boot from USB key works, USB mouse works.

For good measure here are the kernel messages at boot.
Below are some questions regarding these.
---------------------------------------
term% cat /dev/kmesg

Plan 9
126 holes free
00018000 0009f000 552960
004ad000 10000000 263532544
264085504 bytes free
cpu0: 1596MHz GenuineIntel Atom (cpuid: AX 0x106C2 CX 0x40C39D DX 0xBFE9FBFF)
LAPIC: fee00000 e0000000
ELCR: 0CA0
rtl8169: oui 0x20 phyno 1, macv = 0x24800000 phyv = 0x0001
#l0: rtl8169: 100Mbps port 0x2000 irq 11: 0024e897eb84
#A0: hda mem e0002000 irq 10
#A0: codec #0, vendor 10ec0268, rev 00100101
2039M memory: 256M kernel data, 1782M user, 2407M swap

/dev/sdC0: RunCore SSD
/dev/sdC0/9fat	 dos
/dev/sdC0/data
/dev/sdC0/dos
/dev/sdC0/fscache	 cwfs64x
/dev/sdC0/fsworm
/dev/sdC0/nvram
/dev/sdC0/other
/dev/sdC0/plan9
bootargs is (tcp, il, local!device) [local!/dev/sdC0/fscache]
user[glenda]:
bad nvram key
bad authentication id
bad authentication domain
nvrcheck: can't read nvram
current fs is "main"
10 uids read, 3 groups used
63-bit cwfs as of Wed Jan  9 06:13:52 2013
	last boot Fri Jan  4 03:24:16 2013

init: starting /bin/rc
mpintrenable: out of choices eisa -1 isa 5 tbdf FFFFFFFF irq 7
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 7, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for lpt
---------------------------------------

So here are my questions:
- The last two lines look strange (as if something is
  broken). What do they mean?
- Can I expect audio to work? How do I verify that
  audio is working?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Alexander

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:23 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-16  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> init: starting /bin/rc
> mpintrenable: out of choices eisa -1 isa 5 tbdf FFFFFFFF irq 7
> intrenable: couldn't enable irq 7, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for lpt
> ---------------------------------------
>
> So here are my questions:
> - The last two lines look strange (as if something is
>   broken). What do they mean?

it probablly means that it looks like you have a parallel printer port
to the software, but you don't and there is no interrupt vector for it.

> - Can I expect audio to work? How do I verify that
>   audio is working?

hget http://adstorage.jamba.net/storage/view/325/0/th/Theme2.mp3|games/mp3dec

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:45 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-01-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

please, do not post 9front questions to 9fans. post to
9front@googlegroups.com or ask in the irc channel.

> mpintrenable: out of choices eisa -1 isa 5 tbdf FFFFFFFF irq 7
> intrenable: couldn't enable irq 7, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for lpt

this means that your mps tables do have the isa irq 7 entry,
so the parallel port driver will be unable to use interrupts.

it will probably still work with polling. do you even have
a parallel port? ;)

another thing you could do is try *acpi= in plan9.ini.
it will identity map all isa irq's to gsi 0-15 except for
the ones that have a special override entry in the apic
table, so all isa irq's should be there with that method.

> #A0: hda mem e0002000 irq 10
> #A0: codec #0, vendor 10ec0268, rev 00100101

this is your soundcard. to test if it works, you can just
cat some file into /dev/audio like:

cat /bin/* >/dev/audio

or if you have internet connection:

play http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/plan9-jingle2.mp3

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:49   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-16  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jan 15 23:46:23 EST 2013, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:
> please, do not post 9front questions to 9fans. post to
> 9front@googlegroups.com or ask in the irc channel.

this looks like a generic plan 9 question to me.  or is your
point to dilute the pool?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:51   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-01-16  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is why you should not ask 9fans:

> hget http://adstorage.jamba.net/storage/view/325/0/th/Theme2.mp3|games/mp3dec

theres no games/mp3dec in 9front.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:55     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-01-16  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49:13PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Tue Jan 15 23:46:23 EST 2013, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:
> > please, do not post 9front questions to 9fans. post to
> > 9front@googlegroups.com or ask in the irc channel.
> >

> this looks like a generic plan 9 question to me.  or is your
> point to dilute the pool?
>
> - erik

his point is that half the time someone brings up 9front here they get
bitched at and told to take it to the 9front list.  stop with the
mccarthy shit; he's just trying to keep the noise down.

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  4:59     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-16  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jan 15 23:52:31 EST 2013, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:
> this is why you should not ask 9fans:
>
> > hget http://adstorage.jamba.net/storage/view/325/0/th/Theme2.mp3|games/mp3dec
>
> theres no games/mp3dec in 9front.

and this is why making stuff incompatabile for no benefit is not a good idea.

i think richard's pi work is really quite good stuff.  there's nothing extra.
it's just a pi.  the rest of us tend to fall in the trap of trying to change things
that are not relevant.

well. most of the rest.  and i'm part of the most.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  5:01     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-01-16  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry. but he just asked how to test if audio works on his
9front installation and you giving him commands that will
not work on his machine.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Installation of 9front on Dell Mini 9, some noob questions
@ 2013-01-16  5:16   ` Alexander Shendi (Web.de)
From: Alexander Shendi (Web.de) @ 2013-01-16  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, cinap_lenrek

Sorry for the noise. I wasn't aware that there was a separate 9front
mailing list. I will ask further questions there. FWIW audio works.

Thank you for your help,

Alexander