* [9fans] TeX
@ 2002-05-07 12:05 Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-07 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

While downloading the distribution I am consistently getting the
following
error when attempting to retrieve TeX:
Sorry

Permission denied. Perhaps more than one week has passed since you
started the installation process. If so, please start again.

Don
http://www.7f.no-ip.info/

* Re: [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-09 10:29       ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-12-09 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Although it is no TeX I would like to suggest ``lout'', a lightweight
> (2 MB) document formatting system written in ANSI C by Jeffrey H.
> Kingston. [0]

Hello.
I have had a look at lout and have printed its user guide.
I think it doesn't understand utf.
Otherwise it seems to be highly inspired by pic/grap/tbl/eqn. It's these
packed together and perhaps polished for the user, so that some operations
are easier.
But this packing up is probably something I don't like that much.
All pic/grap/tbl/eqn have a simple to read and short documentation.
Documentation for lout is just long... :)

Ruda

* Re: [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-09  1:41         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-12-09  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Its lack of support of XML is an optimization :-)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> But the documentation makes no sense!
>
> "Its main disadvantages are that it can only produce PostScript and
> there is no easy way to get XML or any other
> output format (apart from plain text)."
>

> "...disadvantage ... no ... XML ..."
>

> I mean, what's the disadvantage here :-)
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-09  0:51         ` Frederik Caulier
From: Frederik Caulier @ 2009-12-09  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

None. :-)

Just to clarify, me saying ´´well documented'' does not refer to the
Wikipedia entry but to the actual user guide which can be fetched at
[0].

[0] ftp://ftp.cs.usyd.edu.au/jeff/lout/

Best regards,
F. Caulier

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:51 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the documentation makes no sense!
>
> "Its main disadvantages are that it can only produce PostScript and
> there is no easy way to get XML or any other
> output format (apart from plain text)."
>

> "...disadvantage ... no ... XML ..."
>

> I mean, what's the disadvantage here :-)
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-08 23:51       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-12-08 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-12-08 23:36     ` Frederik Caulier
From: Frederik Caulier @ 2009-12-08 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans@

Although it is no TeX I would like to suggest ``lout'', a lightweight
(2 MB) document formatting system written in ANSI C by Jeffrey H.
Kingston. [0]

Quotation from Wikipedia:
``It reads a high-level description of a document similar in style to
LaTeX and produces a PostScript file which can be printed on most
printers. Plain text and PDF output are also available.'' [1]

It is free software and well documented, you might also want to have a
look at the FAQ. [2]

[0] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/lout/
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lout
[2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/lout/index.php?title=FAQ

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:10 AM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 02:30:49PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> > somone was working on a modern port of TeX to plan9.
>> > did this work out? I would like to update my installation
>> > as I think I may be using LaTeX before long.
>>
>> I gave it a go but it wore me out. The pdflatex guys just destroyed
>> latex portability, and tex overall is far less portable than it was
>> years ago. It's a sad story.
>
> I gave it a try too, but it's stalled---no abandon, but I have already
> too much to do with the GIS.
>
> For whose who would give it a try (my plan was/is to get rid of all the
> GPL mess added, since TeX, METAFONT and the like are the stable parts;
> that's all the mess added around that is a hell):
>
> 1) I first thought about trying to get an open source Pascal compiler
> (there is at least one in the old BSD sources). There is/was a GNU
> project, or at least a GPL project too. But Pascal is not my cup
> of tea and I found messages from Donald Knuth, who was trying to
> compile the software with this (so that TeX depends on nothing
> else) and he finally gave up... Conclusion: if even he gave up,
> I should perhaps take another way...
>
> 2) Second way: translate WEB to CWEB. For the format, this is easy. But
> for the code, this is more or less what web2c does. So...
>
> 3) Retrieve the public version (Thomas Rockiki) of the original
> translation stuff, and restart from this.
>
> Personnally, my goal was only the core TeX and METAFONT, dvips and
> MetaPOST without kpathsea---I use TeX and not LaTeX, and no pdfTeX
> or the oriental extensions. A C89 translation will give the software
> to Unices and Plan9 and save the system from the "bazaar" touch
> that is the reciprocal of Midas': give it gold, it will give you
> crap.
>
> Let's hope someone takes this---I mean not compile the present mess, but
> trim down to a pure Donald Knuth's base.
> --
> Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
>                 http://www.kergis.com/
> Key fingerprint = 0FF7 E906 FBAF FE95 FD89  250D 52B1 AE95 6006 F40C

* Re: [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-08 23:10   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-08 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-12-08 22:30 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-12-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-12-08 22:09 ` Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-12-08 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I would like to update my installation
> as I think I may be using LaTeX before long.

This doesn't address your issue /per se/, but if you'll indulge me,
I'll ramble a bit about LaTeX and text files.

For the past three years I used LaTeX for everything, including papers
suitable for publishing.  Since I mostly needed LaTeX for special
symbols and peculiar formatting, I decided to now use the full range
of Unicode in text files instead.  I find it's much faster to write,
since I worry less about finely adjusted fonts and layout, I don't
have an edit-compile cycle, and I can grëp all my notes and output.
This way probably wouldn't get a paper accepted at an international
conference for a research operating system, but it seems alright for
my own purposes, and to present information to my colleagues at
work.[1]  The only thing I miss about LaTeX is italics and sidenotes,
but I can /forward slant/ and use footnotes after paragraphs, which is
close enough to serve the same purposes (special, literal, or
foreign-language text, and notes near referring text) without
seriously interrupting the flow of text.

[1] A short text file dumped to a line printer beats, in expository
power, a huge animated powerpoint deck any day.  I don't buy "boring"
or "too complicated" as a good reason to mutilate a technical
discussion.  The point is to /understand/, not buy into a pitch: if
you understand, you'll agree or not on the merits.  If you only think
you understand, and are actually persuaded by me, then we both may
make a bad decision, and my pitch derailed both of us.

> -Steve

Jason Catena

* [9fans] tex
@ 2009-12-08 20:55 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-12-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

somone was working on a modern port of TeX to plan9.
did this work out? I would like to update my installation
as I think I may be using LaTeX before long.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] TeX
@ 2002-05-07 14:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-07 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Permission denied. Perhaps more than one week has passed since you
> started the installation process. If so, please start again.

I just tried and it works fine for me.
Did you bookmark the updates page after
you logged in?  Try starting over at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/ureg.html